• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

possible comanche projject

rickyxj

NAXJA Forum User
i've been looking at purchasing a comanche, only problem is it's a 2 wheel drive. 5 speed manual . plan on pickin up a donor for the front d30 and transfer case among other things for the xj. will a tcase that was behind an aw4 bolt up to the 5 speed? i'm not 100% on this but it would be the ax15 tranny right? thanks any input, links or faqs more than appreciated

edit: forgot to ask. seeing as it's a five speed what gears would be in the rearend 3.55s ?

Last edited:
depends on the year. 86-90 are BA-15, 91-92 are AX-15, and i believe the 3.55 are in the 6cyl/auto combo. manual is gonna different. 3.08 for 6 cyl, and 4.10 or 4.56 for the 4 cyl

:cheers: I'm helping a friend of mine do exactly the same thing with an automatic-equipped MJ in the very near future, good luck!

Remember that you may need to change the crossmember (not sure), rear driveshaft, and transmission tailhousing for this, at least on an aw4 2wd MJ.

EDIT: progress / build thread here, no pics because my camera got stolen a few weeks ago http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1011475

The tailhousings should be different either manual or auto,2wd's are longer.Probably easiest to pull a 4wd tranny/TC combo,you'll need a shorter rear drive shaft to.

Where is St. Catharines? Unless they got rid of it in the last week or two there is a manual MJ in Sam's Pull-a-Part in Worcester MA with 4wd, if you're fairly close by (long shot) you could swipe the transmission, transfer case, and probably front/rear DS + crossmember out of it for less than 400 bucks I would bet.

EDIT: oh. Ontario. Sorry, not useful info!

Back