• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My getting ready for JV thread...

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Well I figured that if I started a thread maybe it'll help me get some motivation. That and all the cool kids are doing it so I should try to.

So let's start this pictoral build out.

We start out with my red Jeep. 1989 Cherokee, approximately 3" of lift, tired 31" tires, D30 / D35 both open both 3.55:1, and a stock 231 transfer case.
wipeout_tuesday_021.jpg

Next we'll toss a Loose Nuts Enterprises front bumper on, my dad won this bumper last year at JV and gave it to me (installed this in February actually).
bumper.jpg

Hmm, that bumper looks kinda nakid. Better get a winch for it.
m8000.jpg

Had the TNT Customs Y-Link and frame stiffiners sitting in the garage for ages. Got the stiffiners on pretty quick but was dreading drilling the holes for the belly pan (I suck at blind drilling). For some odd reason (probably good instructions :laugh3: ) I nailed it.
IMG_0008_001.JPG

The control arms will go in when I swap axles.

Seems that somehow over the years I've gouged the hell out of my rails (great pivot points!) so the ORGS SuperNerfs had to be painted.
IMG_0011.JPG

Well damnit. When I routed the transmission and power steering cooler lines I never even thought of a winch! So off they go, gotta get a new transmission cooler and mount that power steering cooler back up. While I was in there I painted the radiator because looks are very important!
IMG_0011.JPG

I realized that since my whole quest is to be cool I ought to get rid of those 31" tires, I mean it's not like it's 1998 anymore! So I just had to get some 35's! For some reason they rub...
IMG_0019.jpg

So now that we're what, three weeks away, I figure I should line everything up to pose for a picture before it's all on the Jeep. Don't all these parts look perty!
IMG_0003.jpg

The rear is trussed courtesy of some trouble maker sailer up in Oxnard.
IMG_0006.jpg

WE left the front untrussed as it was troublesome, we did beef up those lower control arm mounts though.
IMG_0009.jpg

Ahhh, now the axles look better!
IMG_0017.jpg

So now I just have to get all that crap on, under, and inside the Jeep. I've been working on gearing the axles this week, we'll see how that goes. After the ARB's and gears are in it's simple work of tossing them under the Jeep and making it go.

It will be nice to have the red Jeep running over rocks again. Real nice.

I'll update this when I do more work.

Probably.

I'm awfly lazy though.

And forgetful.

Nice G. Get those gears in and the axles done. You'll be past 80% of everything you need to run then.

Tech Q.

What color are you gonna paint those long arms?

:D

--ron

Looks like you're finally gonna get to run John Bull. :laugh3:

xjohnnyc said:
Looks like you're finally gonna get to run John Bull.

Johnny, I'll probably get it all done and be at the first rock of John Bull, staged and ready to go, and *poof* the world will end and I'll be sitting there for a split second in this void that used to be planet Earth pondering just what an intergalactic bypass looks like.

GSequoia said:
Johnny, I'll probably get it all done and be at the first rock of John Bull, staged and ready to go, and *poof* the world will end and I'll be sitting there for a split second in this void that used to be planet Earth pondering just what an intergalactic bypass looks like.

That or blow your engine..

Well I really got started on the axles this evening.

I started out by removing the drivers side axle seal so I could make some comparasions.
IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

Gave it a long hard look and decided, yup, I can modify the passenger side tube to accept an OEM non-disconnect seal (remember, this is a disconnect axles, I prefer the OEM style seal as it has the ramp to minimize the risk of knocking the seal out when you stab in axle shafts) so I started playing with the Dremel.
IMG_0039.jpg

It's just about the right size now, I only have to shave off a hair more material and I'll be able to drive the OEM seal in and be cool.

I also started getting together the parts and such for the gearing job and noticed that I accidently got sent a pinion bearing kit for an LP 30, the outer bearing (by the yoke) differs here so we'll have to get that corrected.

All in all it was a productive evening. Tomorrow I'll be continuing the tube modifications and with any luck starting in on gearing the D44.

Sequoia

Finally.

I like your approach of doing all your mods at once, no intermediate steps!

IntrepidXJ said:
yeah, i sure don't want to have to walk back to LAX from JV :roll:

I'm thinking you'll be walking to JV from LAX ;)

GSequoia said:
I'll bring my bicycle so he can use it.

Trike-2006.jpg

Here you go!

Or is this better?

Lil-daisy-pink-2006.jpg

No way man. He's a computer geek.

He'll need a pocket protector and a recumbant (don't forget the flag) :rof:

Back