• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 to 8.25 conversion in a 1997. What do I need?

twcguy

NAXJA Forum User
Allright, I have Fubar'd my D35 at this point. See:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10083&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

If I switch to a 8.25 what all needs to be done?

Will a 97 or newer 8.25 have provisions for my ABS or am I going to lose that? (I don't really care if I lose rear ABS or not)

Will the driveshaft bolt up the same way, or will I need to replace the shaft/joint?

I am assuming with 3.55 gears I should be ok.

Anything else? Who has done this?

Josh

So far I need:

8.25 Axle that has 1310 u-joints

3" ubolts and plates

Possibly the shorter driveshaft out of an 8.25 equipped Jeep

I may or may not be able to find one with ABS...

Anything else?

Josh

You will not find a 8.25 from a Jeep with ABS. Only the D35 came with it. Emergency brake cables may not work.I know there is a difference between the 96 and 98 models and the way they mount.
You seem to hav all other bases covered.
Wayne

The 8.25 never came(in a Jeep) w/ ABS.Everything else you mentioned will get you there.Depending on your lift,you may not even need a driveshaft.The 8.25 is a liittle longer than the D35.

Wayne - what are the mounting differences I need to look out for?

RCP Phx - I have a 3.5" lift, maybe that will be good enough.

Just need an axle now... poor Jeep is just sitting in the driveway.

Anything else?

Josh

If you can wait a couple of weeks,mine will be on the auction block!There are no mounting differences!

I've got a driveshaft you can have for $10 plus shipping ... please get it out of my garage..... came off my 00

On a 96 the cables come from each brake and meet at the adjuster behind the TC.
IIRC the 98s have both cables come to the drivers side frame rail and the adjuster is there,But I can,t confirm because the 98 is not in the driveway now.
Wayne

Back