• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installing a locker but keeping the same gear set.

tooofast

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of adding a ARB locker to my front d30 and already have 4.56 gears as am not going to be getting a new ring and pinion.

As the ARB has to sit in same center plan as my current carrier (im guessing it has to sit dead center between the caps for the shafts to be in the center) and i am not taking out the pinion gear i was thinking i could just pull the old carrier. bolt my current ring gear to the ARB and work on my shims left and right to get the correct patten. does this sound like a plan or am i missing something here?

Again my pinion depth should not change as i am using the same pinion and not disturbing it right? :confused: or will the new carrier cause my pinion depth to change?

This has me really puzzled..

Dave

pinion depth will not change, you are correct.

last time i changed the carrier, we mic'd the old shims, used the same thickness shims, but new, and put them on, took readings, adjusted if necessary, and double checked the pattern and backlash, and was done.

you are going to be really close, but can't go blindly

and you should really use new ring gear bolts

pinion depth will not change, you are correct.

last time i changed the carrier, we mic'd the old shims, used the same thickness shims, but new, and put them on, took readings, adjusted if necessary, and double checked the pattern and backlash, and was done.

you are going to be really close, but can't go blindly

and you should really use new ring gear bolts

Thanks, that is kind of what i thought. As for the new ring gear bolts they are just grade 8 bolts right? with red locktight!

As for checking the pattern is these a special paint i should use or something?

Sorry for the stupid question its just i have only removed and replaced the same carrier ARB in the same housing with the same shims after i blew the seals out.

Thanks
Dave

Thanks, that is kind of what i thought. As for the new ring gear bolts they are just grade 8 bolts right? with red locktight!
No, the bolts are not grade 8. DO use red Locktite though.
I'm not sure where, but you can get ring gear bolts from many online suppliers, maybe even NAPA.

As for checking the pattern is these a special paint i should use or something?
Yes, there is gear marking compound. Make sure you get the yellow stuff, not the other blue stuff.

Back