• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backspacing question

TurtleBoyPW5

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep is in getting a 5.5" IRO long arm kit installed, I have been eye balling bigger tires (currently running 31x10.5 BFG). My question is can I use my stock alloys with a 33x10.5 tire? I believe stock backspacing is 5.25", I am looking for the best amount of backspacing that would enable me to do the least amount of fender triming for full flex.

Thanks for your help, im a noob. :wave1:

(Other random specs to prevent questions about my rig, mostly road as it is my DD, 2000xj limited, 242, 8.8 ford rear, 4:10 gears, LSD back, detroit trutrac front)

I would say no way,I run 33x10.50's w/ 4.5" BS and just barely rub on the control arms and the rear of the fender wells.

The 33" tires will mount onto the stock rims, but they won't "fit" the rims or the Cherokee very well. Stock rims are 7" wide, with 10.5 - 12 wide tires you really should have 8" wide rims with 4.25-4.75 of back spacing.

My personal preference is the narrower side of a rim and have always gone by the rule of up to about 4" of diff...so 7" for 10.5 is just right IMO. I'd use 8" wheels for 12.5" 33s. Your tires won't stick out then either with the stock rims.

Thanks for the help guys! I found a set of four BFG AT 33x10.5 with only 300 miles on them for 400 about 40 minutes away from me. Now I need to scrap some money together...

Thanks for the help guys! I found a set of four BFG AT 33x10.5 with only 300 miles on them for 400 about 40 minutes away from me. Now I need to scrap some money together...

I run 33 X10.50 KOs, with JKS LCAs, on stock rims and they would rub like crazy without the 1-1/4" wheel spacers. Even with the spacers, I have a washer under each steering stop to prevent rubbing on hard turns.

Tire Rack recommends a 7-9" rim so you are fine mounting them on a stock rim.
http://tinyurl.com/3monju

:shocked::shocked::shocked: I wish I was you, buy those!!! ESPECIALLY if they come with rims for that price!

Back