• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BB with 31's?

aussiewheeler

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, going on my 4th cherokee, and this one I have left completely stock as I need it to commute with. The problem is, my other jeeps have all been lifted and have run 31 inch tires. Therefore I now have a set of really nice 31" studded tires, and a stock jeep. I would love to be able to run them on the current Jeep being that ski season is coming up and was wondering If a 2 inch budget boost would give me enough space to run the tires?. This jeep would see no "offroading" pretty much just speed bumps and pot holes, and I was hoping that if I could bumpstop it enough and adjust my steering stops that I could run the tires without rubbing (or minimal rubbing). Trimming the fenders is not an option.

also, having never done less than 4 inches on a cherokee, what kind of problems (steering, shocks, etc) should I expect with a budget boost? Solid steering is very important to me.

Thanks,

Kyle

What year? JIM.

For the street you don't need to bumpstop with 2" and 31" tires. I've seen 31" with no lift-- for that you do need extended bumpstops. May be a better idea though because you retain stock CA angles.

You need to put washers in the steering stops though.

Last edited:
ok, thanks for the input, and yeah i forgot to add the year, its a 97. So it sounds like i just need to put the 31's on there and see what I can do without a lift, and then if I have to ill do 2 inches.

Thanks,

Kyle

for street with 31s as noted above you'll be fine on 2". My OME 2" (which it seems is more like 3", though I haven't really measured it, just going by what it's specced as) has me riding fine on 32s except for some very minor rubbing when turning corners and flexing slightly at the same time, think turning into a driveway.

I would think you most def want to bumpstop.

Rubbing wouldnt be great .. since the whole point is studded tires.

I am on a 2 inch lift with 31's, stock 5.25 inch backspaced wheels, one inch bumpstop extension (hockey pucks) and WJ lower CA's to eliminate rubbing at full turn. Works great, but as they say, every jeep is a little different. The lower the lift you can get away with the less potential you will have for driveline issues which is a concern for 97+ xj's, also keeps your center of gravity low.

Last edited:
Back