• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB mounted in 97-01 Overhead Console

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
I've seen a picture of this done before on here and after spending an hour and a half searching through every cb mounting location i could find, trying to find the picture, i decided to see if anyone has a pic of the install in the OHC. So please post any pix you might have of a CB mounted in your 97-01 overhead console. Thanks!

I just barely got my Sirius radio in there - never mind a CB. I havent seen a CB that small. I did see a pic of someone who had a CB up there but it wasnt in a stock overhead console.

the pic i saw, the guy took out the sunglasses holder and cut through the backing to make the cb fit at somewhat of an angle. And it was facing towards the rear.

I've done this, its actually very simple.

imgp0358a.jpg

I'll check if I have more pictures of the install

Man, I'm going to have to consider this... I might have to hack up my CB and mount most of it elsewhere though. Since I'm already going to be snaking cables (and already have an air line for my airhorn) above the headliner, I figure I should be able to run a ribbon cable for the frontpanel connections there and see what happens...

All I did was cut out the sunglasses holder and garage door clicker using a dremel. I then bolted on the CB radio mounting bracket using a piece of scrap metal as a backing plate.

The coax just gets routed through the headliner to wherever your antenna is. The power however you can pull directly from the power for the display/lights, just splice right into the lines

right on, you have the same exact cb as me as well. I'll prob just modify mine. and let me know if you find anymore pix. Thanks.

I've got mine mounted up there too. This is an old pic from when it was first installed.

IMG_0493.jpg

It's the Cobra model they sell at Walmart. I think I still have a print out of the step by step instructions I found on another site.

The only problems I had with this set up were that the mic cord would fall down while driving and I kept hitting my head on the mic. I've since stuffed a piece of packing foam above the CB to keep the cord from rattling/falling.
I've also velcro'd the mic to the bottom of the radio. I can reach up and key the mic when needed without having it swinging around.

nice. Ya i started hacking away at the sunglasses/garage door opener sections. I think it's going to look pretty good. Im also going to install a row of rocker switches on the rear piece of plastic. I'll post some pix of it when i finish and/or during the install

So ever find any more pics of this mod? It seems pretty easy, someone had posted about step by step instructions was wondering if any headway was made about posting them up? I always considered modding the center console in my 97 right under the armrest to hold a radio, but i took it apart yesterday and the rear heater vent ducting will interfere and if i space the armrest up to clear knobs and hide the display it is too high to use. I'm putting mine up top in the console.

Back