• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country Diff Guard Install Question

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
So I tried to install the diff cover and it leaked tried to take the lazy way out. Well looks like I will have to pull the cover and change the oil. The prob is when the cover goes on it blocks the fill plug how the hell do you get the fluid in. Seems like a s**ty design:dunno:.

second question is what weight gear oil should i use and how much for each. d30 front and d35 rear as well as the T case.
97 Xj 4.0 32's stock gearing DD with some offroad

So I tried to install the diff cover and it leaked tried to take the lazy way out. Well looks like I will have to pull the cover and change the oil. The prob is when the cover goes on it blocks the fill plug how the hell do you get the fluid in. Seems like a s**ty design:dunno:.

second question is what weight gear oil should i use and how much for each. d30 front and d35 rear as well as the T case.
97 Xj 4.0 32's stock gearing DD with some offroad

First, transfer case uses Dextron III atf, I prefer the Mobil-1 synthetic.

Second, GL-5 for the diffs, 75-90 I believe.

Third, aren't those the guards that look like a spastic jockstrap? Just kidding. Buy a pump at the parts store. :jester:

Thanks for the quick response.

And yes that is kind of what it looks like very strong feeling. The pump will not work because the guard covers the hole will try to snap a pic

You may be able to use a good coat of RTV bolt it on and let it sit for a bit then fill it and try and take out the bolts to install the diff guard.

I know most of the time I take off a diff cover at work they don't leak a drop till either the last bolt is losend or I smack it with a soft face hammer.

I would call RC first like Joe said, cause that doesnt sound right, that it would block the hole completly

Well that sux wish I knew that there was one for the HP and the LP

When I called customer service i was told to use rtv on the cover put it on hand tight let it dry then fill it

Next fill the diff take the bolts out and put the guard back on and torque the bolts to 15ftlbs and all will be good

Well it started leaking already this sux:flamemad:

15ft/lbs doesn't sound right....if you use the lube locker gaskets, I know in the end you torque to 35ft/lbs.

Spoke jason at R/C and was told to use clamps to hold the cover in place then let the rtv dry then slip the guard on and tighten it up will give it one more try I dont want to keep wasting money on the oil. well off to the store to buy another big c clamp

15ft/lbs doesn't sound right....if you use the lube locker gaskets, I know in the end you torque to 35ft/lbs.

DO NOT do this. I installed Lube Lockers on my Rubicon and noted the final torque spec of 35 ft/lbs, I knew that was too high. 25 ft/lbs, 30 max, is more than sufficient. I torqued mine to 25 ft/lbs and no leaks, no problems. At 35 ft/lbs you WILL break bolts off in your housing. Everyone I know who tried to tighten to 35 ft/lbs ended up breaking bolts off in the housing.

Spoke jason at R/C and was told to use clamps to hold the cover in place then let the rtv dry then slip the guard on and tighten it up will give it one more try I dont want to keep wasting money on the oil. well off to the store to buy another big c clamp

Sell it and buy another brand that does not block the hole, quit wasting time, money and oil. Thats stupid that they would make 2 different ones for a D30.

Everyone I know who tried to tighten to 35 ft/lbs ended up breaking bolts off in the housing.

I guess you and I don't know each other then....

I've never had a problem with mine....and I know plenty of people who run these. Must be the altitude.

DO NOT do this. I installed Lube Lockers on my Rubicon and noted the final torque spec of 35 ft/lbs, I knew that was too high. 25 ft/lbs, 30 max, is more than sufficient. I torqued mine to 25 ft/lbs and no leaks, no problems. At 35 ft/lbs you WILL break bolts off in your housing. Everyone I know who tried to tighten to 35 ft/lbs ended up breaking bolts off in the housing.

:wstupid: 35 is WAAAYY too much.

i use lubelockers, and i was shocked to see that spec in the instructions. decided to try it anyway on one or two bolts, but immediately saw that it was too high.

Ok who wanst to buy this POS 2nd try and guess what LEAKS I could try to cut and modify it but may be to much work:gonnablow.

The worst part of this is the rock sliders I bought (That i got a damn good deal on thanks Jason) came with a dent and a big rust spot on the top rail they offered to replace it and i Did not want to go through with the install again so to make me happy they offered me this which in turn caused me even more pain and suffering.

Maybe they did it screw me for calling about the dent and rust:shocked:

Had same problem with my rough country diff guard it blocked the fill plug hole I ended up putting the cover back on without the guard drove it a few days then took out all the bolts and installed the poorly designed rough country diff guard.

Park facing up a very steep hill, then the cover will be facing up. Fill with oil, put your cover on!

Back