• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeak in Steering column 98 XJ

turpehar

NAXJA Forum User
My steering column squeaks when turned. You mostly notice it when moving slow and turning sharp. I just bought it as a replacement for another 98 that a deer ran into. Can anyone tell me what the root cause might be?

I'm thinking the two-three months is sat might be the cause and that it may go away on it's own. On the other hand it could be as simple as the cover rubbing the column as it rotates, or could it be a bushing or bearing. The sound seems to radiate down the column where it can be heard on the outside, but definately starts at the wheel base.

The sterring is tight, responsive, and does not wonder at all. The vehicle has been well taken care of and has a near new appearence.

Thanks

Has it just turned cold where you live? There is a seal in the base of the column that needs to be lubed,a good silicon type lube is prefered.Column must be dis-asembled to get to this seal.My wifes 98 does this too--I haven,t lubed the seal.
Wayne

Yeah I have the same problem on my 98, it only squeeks when cold. And he's right there is a seal.........its more of a question how much spare time do you have and how much does it bother you. I write it off as giving the jeep character.:D

Back