• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

amp draw of cherokee

lil_red_wagon

NAXJA Forum User
im tryin to find the factory amp draw of a 90 Cherokee limited. im debating on changing my alt but im not sure. i have the 100 amp and im tryin to find out if i need to upgrade it. im installin some lights. i will be pullin a total of around 40amps on all my lights. and im wantin not to max out my alt amp output. i just want to find out my max and normal amp draw of just the vehicle.

im tryin to find the factory amp draw of a 90 Cherokee limited. im debating on changing my alt but im not sure. i have the 100 amp and im tryin to find out if i need to upgrade it. im installin some lights. i will be pullin a total of around 40amps on all my lights. and im wantin not to max out my alt amp output. i just want to find out my max and normal amp draw of just the vehicle.

Renix era XJs used the CS-130 Delco-Remy (GM) alternators. There are numerous variations, and different mounting schemes, so if you are doing a salvage yard upgrade be careful of what you pick.

The CS-144 is a super upgrade, and is also available in different amps and mounting schemes.

Read this article: http://www.olypen.com/craigh/charge.htm

And here is one link on the CS-144s: http://www.alternatorparts.com/CS-144_Special_offer.htm

no im not doin a salvage yard upgrade. right now im just trying to find what is the factory draw on the jeep itself not what the alt puts out i know i have the 100 amp alt. im just tryin to find out what the jeep uses so i know how much i have left over for the lights. i will upgrade later on.

btw i should have mentioned i have 1g welding lead for my neg and pos cables including pos to starter, pos to power block, power block to alt. neg to block, and 2 - 8g neg to body. wiring isnt a issue anymore.

Total current draw is vehicle dependent, based on accessories.

You can measure the draw of all your electrical accessories and add them up, the only real way to get there, sorry, but the answer to your question is in your XJ.

a/c, aux fan, type of stereo, amplifier, subs, aux lighting, headlamp upgrades, LED lighting, just too many variables.

so best bet is just to pull out my amp meter and see what it reads. crappy after market radio no subs or amps any more no a/c use comp for on board air, got the lighting amps figured out. right below 40 amps total for all 10. both elec fans. yeah ill just put a new batt in and pull out the amp meter.

That's not going to work. Look closely at the dial on the multimeter, what is the ammeter rated at? I'm betting not nearly enough- 10 or 20A? Bye bye fuse.

What you need is an amp clamp. Plugs right into a multimeter using the mV scale. Measures current inductively without disconnecting anything.

my meter is for hvacr i work on 3-phase equipment. my amp meter goes upto 400 amps. it is the clamp style. but on the other note im runnin right at 40 amps with everything on. the heater on high, lights on, radio all the way up, both elec fans runnin, only thing i didnt have on was hazards or turns. and mathamadicly figuring my lights will pull only 40 at 12vts and 35 at 14v. i have everything with the lights fused and ran through a distrobution block thats hooked to the battery by a 8g wire. its only temp im pickin up some 1g this week to replace it with. i also installed a marine deep cycle battery today too.

Back