• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Attention Junkyard Enthusiast!

mud1059

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been out of the game here for awhile, so forgive me if I'm way behind...

I have recently begun hitting up the junkyards to find TONs, TONS, and more TONS of awesome junkyard finds! Thank you Cash 4 Clunkers!

8.8s GALORE Literally 15-20+ Explorers in South End Auto Wrecking - I wasn't counting, but there were LOTS!

ZJs/WJs I saw at least 5 WJs at South End Auto Wrecking (think cheap high steer or rear disks)

Mid 90's and late model XJs Again, TONS! there's a minimum of two at every yard I've been to. All with straight panels, clean interiors, and they had to run to trade them in!

Also note, they still ask an outrageous asking price all the while telling you they can't haggle. Then they drop 60% after you get off the phone with George or Diana (seen here: http://www.georgethejeep.com/).

PS I don't work for South End or in any way endorse them. In fact, I despise them. However, they did seem to have the best selection and highest prices thus far in my quests.

ya they ran till they where sized and they have to crush them in 180 days or 6 months. and ya I work for a wrecking yard. we got about 12 xj 6-8 zj-wj(??) and about 10-14 exploders.

They have to get rid of them that fast that explains why they have been changing there inventory so quickly.. Yeah and the engines are junk. As far as disc brake conversion if you use the WJ for rear discs I think you will need to use 17" wheels because the rotors are much bigger on the WJs

ZJ rear brakes are a easy swap for discs on a XJ. Hey Paul, if you head back there can you grab me a grill off a late model XJ? I won't be down in that area for a month or so and the yards up here all suck.

-Alex

I'm bumping this...

So here's a rundown of all the junkyards I know of:

South End AW (Kent or Tukwila) - Tons of crap but seemed pricey at first

Budget Truck Wrecking (Auburn) - I like this place, they have a "NO TWEEKERS" placard in the front door. Really good selection, too bad they're so pricey!

The one by WildWaves - Nothing 4 late model, and you need a babysitter to scope the yard. Seriously. You really need a babysitter. Almost forgot - Anybody running a sunroof, there's a ZJ here with REALLY nice interior and a sunroof OHC.

Pull-A-Part (Tacoma) - Don't waste your time or your dollar.

Rollins (Elk Plain) - They had a couple Cherokees and were VERY gentle on price. Def the place to go if you need wiring or a dash piece. I sat in an IMMACULATE 99 for 4 hours taking it apart just for fun. That was one clean rig! Also, it had the nice headliner with soundbar. I did snag the OHC, guage cluster, and something else that escapes me ATM for $65.

Roy Y AW (Hwy 7 @ Roy Y) - Multiple Cherokees pretty picked through and not well taken care of. Actually these guys pissed me off. They had a complete 97 shell in the scrap pile. I offered him scrap price for it: $150. The counter guy agreed, but when it came time to get it off the pile, the forklift guys refused saying it was "unsafe to touch." I lost the negotiation and there it sits. :( It's a shame too, it was reachable by forklift from the front AND the DS.

Meridian Auto Wrecking (Graham) - Prices were high and they wouldn't let me in the yard.

Grundie's (Graham) - They wanted $90 per tail light and wouldn't let me in the yard. That's all I have to say about that.

Well that's about all the ones I hit up thus far. I did skip a couple over by the Roy Y, but if you know of any that need attention, let me know!

I went to the pull a part in Lynnwood the other day, saw 4 97+ XJs, one of them was fresh. Two black, a red, and a green one. When I got there Wednesday one of the black ones was fresh and pretty untouched, when I went back Thursday it was still pretty untouched. I grabbed mirrors and misc exterior parts off an older style one. Theres tons of decents newer style seats, 3 bezels off 97+ rigs still there, and an older style with an engine/gas/t-case skid.

If anyone's looking for anything let me know and I'll check it out.

Oh, and also worth mentioning, There was a later model explorer with an 8.8 in it, disc brakes, and 4.11 gears complete that was almost completely pulled (litterally hanging by the shocks)...so it's definately the time to buy an 8.8. I would have grabbed it just for the resale but didn't have the tools or the time.

~Scott

ya they ran till they where sized and they have to crush them in 180 days or 6 months. and ya I work for a wrecking yard. we got about 12 xj 6-8 zj-wj(??) and about 10-14 exploders.

Which Junkyard do you work at ? I need to rob some parts off a exploder. I'm in the Salem area, and rather go south than north.

Oh, and also worth mentioning, There was a later model explorer with an 8.8 in it, disc brakes, and 4.11 gears complete that was almost completely pulled (litterally hanging by the shocks)...so it's definately the time to buy an 8.8. I would have grabbed it just for the resale but didn't have the tools or the time.

~Scott
What do they want for an 8.8?

Latest update:

Garraway's (or something similar) (Spanaway) - They don't have much.....anymore. Picked up another XJ 44 :) This one for $175. Renix era only here.

There's another one on Hwy 7 and right past 208th headed south. Spendy, need a babysitter, and pretty decent late models. Not as nice as the 99 at Rollins, but they had the OHC at least. Didn't check out the earlier XJs.

Yeah I called earlier today at the Lynnwood PAP to find the newer black XJ I took mirrors off of was a '99.

Jeeze...it was clean too. What a shame.

~Scott

Back