• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog light switch cooked, replacement?

X-defector

NAXJA Forum User
So I think my fog light switch is cooked in my '97, having read about that happening frequently since the full current goes through the switch, and after the relay and lights themselves checked out.

Obviously using another stocker isn't going to be the greatest option. Has anyone used a different switch that can be adapted without too much trouble and can stand up to the current? Or it pretty much 'hack operation of choice'?

Why not get a new OEM switch and rewire the fog lights to come on with a relay, so that the full power isn't going through the switch?

Why not get a new OEM switch and rewire the fog lights to come on with a relay, so that the full power isn't going through the switch?

That is exactly the right way to fix his problem.

The engineers went way overboard on marginalizing many of the XJs' circuits.

That is exactly the right way to fix this problem.

The engineers went way overboard on marginalizing many of the XJs' circuits.

X3, what Begster and Joe said.

OK OK you are going to make me post my pic again. Best way to control lights and not burn the switch is to use the switch to control the neg. side of the relay. Here is the pic on how I wire all my switches....
relay2.jpg

Back