• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 IS DRIVING ME CRAZY

tealcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
first, see here for the specs and original problem

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1011413

now that that is fixed, i have no overdrive. with the tcu unplugged i get 1st in 1-2, 3rd in 3, and a 200-250rpm drop shifting into D.

with the TCU connected the best i get is 3rd with lock up (sits at about 2800rpm at 65mph)

Im assuming the overdrive brake is not engaging, i drained the fluid and changed the filter (so half the fluid is new) today, i dont know if the 2001 dipstick is right in the 91 pan, but I put 4 qts in and it says its over full. more than 4 qts came out.

Mine does the same thing but every once in awhile it will go into full lock up and drop another 500rpm. I just deal with it for now because I dont have time to mess with it

i dont have OD at all with the tcu connected. and solenoids kinda test themselves, if you have atleast 3 gears they are working

If the solenoids are starting to go bad, it could add up and do something weird. Plus, testing the TCM takes like 3 minutes.

i cant see it being the solenoids. over drive is both solenoids off. and i have perfect shifts 1-2 2-3 3-2 and 2-1. If either were stuck on I would loose other gears.

the tcu wiring is correct, everything checked atleast 5 times now. is there something to actually check about the tcu itself?

the NSS is working properly. ground in park and neutral, 12v to pin C9 in D, 12v to pin C8 in 1-2, nothing in 3.

sounds internal. with the tcu disconnected you should be able to get OD in the drive position. if you dont have that, i wouldnt look to close at the electronics side but more the mechanical side

thats what Im thinking. probably jsut going to have to grab another trans. or sell the jeep, dont have time for this stuff right now.

my 96 would shift automatically with the selecter in drive from 3-4 and 4-3 but not 3-2, 2-3, 1-2 and 2-1. One new soleniod fixed the problem. I could manually shift into all the gears with the the tcu connected and unconnected. Drove like that for two years missing gears everyday dropping too high or too low of a gear when i wasn't paying attn. Runs like a champ now. I gained a huge respect for these trannys after that. Might wana try a solenoid as its only one bolt and the pan bolts before you go and change the tranny.

Last edited:
my 96 would shift automatically with the selecter in drive from 3-4 and 4-3 but not 3-2, 2-3, 1-2 and 2-1. One new soleniod fixed the problem. I could manually shift into all the gears with the the tcu connected and unconnected. Drove like that for two years missing gears everyday dropping too high or too low of a gear when i wasn't paying attn. Runs like a champ now. I gained a huge respect for these trannys after that. Might wana try a solenoid as its only one bolt and the pan bolts before you go and change the tranny.
Which solenoid did you replace and where did you buy it?

i understand that not everyone knows exactly what the solenoids do, other than make the transmission shift.

let me try to explain.

Solenoid 3 (S3) does absolutely nothing for shifting, it is for the torque converter lockup, and nothing else.

Solenoid 1 and 2 (S1 and S2) are what control the trans shifting.

1st - S1 On S2 Off
2nd - S1 On S2 On
3rd - S1 Off S2 On
4th - S1 Off S2 Off

so if you're S1 is stuck on, you loose the ability to have 3rd and 4th gear. Like wise if its stuck off, you loose 1st and 2nd.

Me having 1st, 2nd, and 3rd means S1 is On, On, and Off. And S2 is Off, On, On. Showing that both S1 and S2 are working in the On and Off positions. 4th, having both S1 and S2 off is working. Pretty much eliminating any electrical problem unless the TCU from the 1995 is looking for something else to allow it to shift to 4th.

:shocked: $250?! Around here you can buy a whole transmission for that much, or probably five or six entire valve bodies and then test solenoids till you find one that works...

Back