• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Worriesome or Scary Steering Concern

zeke2230

NAXJA Forum User
All - need your help diagnosing this issue. I did search but found stiff steering issues related. Mine is the opposite. 2000 XJ, 190K, HD Track Bar, HD Drag Link, 3" lift with 31's. Also have C-Rok steering box reinforcement.

Here's what's going on.

When I turn the steering wheel (happens predominantly when I turn to the left) I reach a point at about 1/4 to 1/2 turn where the wheels stay at the position I've turned them to, but the steering wheel itself continues to turn free for another 1/4 to 1/2 turn. The sensation is that of hydroplaning (the feel in the steering wheel itself) or turning on snow or ice. This all takes place on dry roads.

Where and what should I be looking at?

Thx -Z

Get underneath while someone turns the steering wheel back and forth. Look for free play in the steering box, pitman arm, etc., all the way out to the tie rod ends. Also the track bar.

If everything else checks out,I would say the steering box.What type of steering do you have?Pics would help.

Back