• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

progress pics of front coilover hoops

Fullsizexj

NAXJA Forum User
progress pics
1182298-P9080001.jpg

gotta relocate the battery
1182612-P9090006.jpg

and a side veiw
1182613-P9090008.jpg

Looks good, but where's the crossbrace? How're you tying the hoops together?

An Optima will fit fine in that location. You may have to trim the tray a little bit, but it'll fit. I had to move my Optima to the pass. side but that was because of the York, not because of my coilover hoops. :)

I will be doing a cross brace, just waiting for the tubing to come in, and I tried fitting the optima already but it seems like it is jammed against the rad hose and I am not comfortable with that besides I want to do a duel battery setup so I will relocate them where the backseat used to be. Then I can always battery weld if I have ta :rolleyes:

Holy crap....

I will never, never be hardcore.

Just out of curiosity, why the coilovers on the front? Desert racing or something? In my experiences the front suspension of an XJ is great for trail use. It has always been the rear that has left me wanting. Those coilovers would be a fantastic upgrade for the rear, but perhaps only a marginal upgrade for the already capable front suspension.

Not to pee in your Cheerios or anything, it looks really neat and I'm sure it will be an improvement in performance. But do the ends justify the means in this case?

Just my 2 cents.

Jared

DeadEyeJ said:
Holy crap....

Just out of curiosity, why the coilovers on the front? Desert racing or something? In my experiences the front suspension of an XJ is great for trail use. It has always been the rear that has left me wanting. Those coilovers would be a fantastic upgrade for the rear, but perhaps only a marginal upgrade for the already capable front suspension.

Just my 2 cents.

Jared
Ummmmm...

1174424-P8250299.jpg

1173410-P8230283.jpg

Looking good Fullsize! So did you get it out of the garage yet? :D

Dazz said:
So did you get it out of the garage yet? :D

I have a feeling that here in SoCal we will shortly get a frantic request for smaaal tires so that when they air down and it's all loaded up, it can roll out f the garage :)

Kejtar

originaly I did not plan on doing the front also but when you order 2 16" coilover shocks and they send you 4 and you call to try and return 2 and they say" Oh well keep em" you just have to go for it, as for the last pictures that Dazz posted, it has been lowered now that I have the spring rates figured out. I have decided to put off doing Full hydro steering for now and got a good deal on an AGR pump and steering box for $200.00 which I picked up tonight so I will do a regular high steer on it for now. Should speed up the build process a little

DeadEyeJ said:
Holy crap....

I will never, never be hardcore.

Not to pee in your Cheerios or anything, it looks really neat and I'm sure it will be an improvement in performance. But do the ends justify the means in this case?

Just my 2 cents.

Jared

I'll field that one. I'm running coilovers for a couple of reasons.

1. Once you ride in one offroad you'll never go back to coils.
2. Ever pop a coilspring out & have to have someone hold it to put it back in? That just sucks.
3. Height adjustable. (and yes I used to have ACOS)
4. Simplified system, fewer components to break on the trail.
5. Ever try to find a 16" travel conventional shock & coils to match?
6. Coil spacers are just plain lame.
7. The coilsprings are guaranteed not to loose height or rate. (Try sending your RE coils back cause they sag)

And the number one reason to go coilover? Chicks dig them. :)

I disagree about the rear coilovers, but I haven't ridden in Burrow's yet. To make them fit with a reasonably small lift height you've gotta have them stick way up inside the rig. My kids toys might fall out.

vintagespeed said:
I'll field that one. I'm running coilovers for a couple of reasons.

And the number one reason to go coilover? Chicks dig them. :)

You only THINK chics dig them.

You guys better hurry up my new project is almost ready and I've only spent 1/10 th the time you guys have been. :D

mark
orgs mfg

Does the oil in the resivoirs heat up when placed in the engine compartment?

Mark Hinkley said:

You guys better hurry up my new project is almost ready and I've only spent 1/10 th the time you guys have been. :D

mark
orgs mfg

Yea but I think Mike R. has spent the other 9/10 on it;)

Mark Hinkley said:

mark
orgs mfg

That's because you don't spend near the time on the web that they do........you stay in the shop. :D :D ;)

Rich and Jim, I wonder how you both are going to get your rigs smogged? Will the stock airbox still fit?

That's true. I'm waiting for parts. The stock airbox would fit on mine with some trimming/fitting of the lower section but I had to put my battery there to fit the York on the other side. I mounted another airbox to the pass. side firewall area, it'd probably smog fine with a 'friendly' smog tech. Emissions wise, it's probaby better off now.

I was talking to someone the other day that said Turbo City now has a smog legal air tube for the 89 cherokee that comes with the sticker and all, I have not checked to confirm it yet but if so I will go that route in 2 years since I am good till then otherwise I also have a smaller airbox I can mount back in the factory place and hook up.

Jim, unfortunately it's nearly impossible to find "friendly" smog techs anymore. Their livelyhood depends on it and the BAR has come down hard on many of them....there just isn't justification to risk it. You maybe have a line on someone, but if not it might be impossible. I have a couple of very good friends who are smog techs, plus one works for me, and they still won't do it.

However, I just checked the Turbo City site like Richard mentioned, and they do have an air tube for the early models. I called them and they said it has an ARB number and she thought it was legal in CA. The whole silly issue for CA is the damn heat riser tube from the exhaust manifold to the air box to pass the visual. I don't know how TC is getting around that with the cone filter element, but if this is true, I'm going to get one.

Yes, Turbo City's air tube has a CA number. I just went through smog last year. It comes with a tag that you can place on the unit. Just make sure when you order it that they include the tag with the order. I had a diffcult time getting mine! I had to write and call (a couple of times). Hope this helps.

Craig

Craig Wood said:
Yes, Turbo City's air tube has a CA number. I just went through smog last year. It comes with a tag that you can place on the unit. Just make sure when you order it that they include the tag with the order. I had a diffcult time getting mine! I had to write and call (a couple of times). Hope this helps.

Craig

Craig, do you have the old version, pre '91, or the '91 and later?

The best way to deal with the smog issue in Cali is to have your rig registered in a smog exempt town....like...Borrego Springs!!!
We have some very trick late model cars and trucks (jeeps too) out here!! Although I am not one to contribute blindly to smog..some of the damn rules are just plain stupid!!

Back