• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I may recieve an abandoned 1989 Pioneer, what should I do?

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
There is a house down the street that has had this silver 89 Pioneer in the backyard for 4 years and hasnt moved. It is parked under an awning so it hasnt seen rain or snow in those 4 years.

Over the summer the house was vacant and for sale, so i walked in the yard, and the cherokee has the lower dash off, and wires hanging by the gas and brake pedals. On the dash there was a FSM for 89 cherokee (thats how i found out the year.) The front driveshaft is disco'ed at the front axle, and a large oil spill underneath, but not a fresh spill. There is some surface rust around the door handles, otherwise body is mint, just dusty. The odometer reads 117,000 miles, it has the 4.0 with selec-trac, its a 4 door with power windows, locks, full gauges except tach, clock, no radio, sunroof, roof rack, rear wiper, defrost, cruise, int. wipers, leather wheel, cloth seats, and hatch speakers.

I called the owners of the house in June and he said he was "trying to get it back on the road" (ya right) Now its the end of october and the for sale sign is gone, and a different car in the drive sometimes, but the house still looks vacant. I am going to knock on the door, and if its the new owner, the jeep was probably given to him with the house, and is highly unlikley to want it.

If i somehow get my hands on this thing, should i try get it running and sell it for a profit, or part it out and profit? I could work on it, since i am pretty familiar with renix xj's. But I cant afford to keep both jeeps, (my sport and this pioneer), and im in college, i was just wondering which i could profit from more? Does anyone else have a suggestion on what i should do here? This probably was a very nice pioneer when it was new. So any advice would be great. Thanks!

Call the city or village where you live and tell then that there is an abandoned vehicle in your neighbors yard that is bringing down property values.They will investigate and serve the residents a notice to either move the vehicle or get rid of it.This will promp whoever owns it to either sell it or fix it or whatever....Wait till the city or village rep leaves and start talking business with the dude.
Neighbors can be a bitch!!Don't ask me how I know.....

See if you can get the VIN # and see if the previous owner wants it....or if there are any liens against it....If it's an abandoed vehicle then YOU should be able to get a "junk"title...
If there ARE liens against it and YOU do have ownership you MAY be responsible for theliens....depends on where you live and how much the liens are...It's an even bigger deal if the owner is deceased....

jsk2052 said:
is this the same jeep that was in the never-ending abandoned xj saga on jeep forum?

Yes it is, but i was going to wait it out until they moved and see if he would just leave it, and now it looks like the for sale sign is gone and there is some other van in the drive. I did talk to the owner back in june, but he didnt want to sell it.

seanR said:
Change all of the fluids, belts and hoses.
Do a MAJOR tune up.
Put new tires on it and drive it.

X2

The cool thing is, is if i can get this cherokee the FSM is on the seat, which i could use some of it for my 88, But the bad news is, there could be a major problem with it, or the owner is just stupid, and cant fix something simple. I am hoping the CKP is dead, and he just cant start it, that is the best case senario.

2000xj4x4 said:
yea thats what it sounds like haha its gotta be i cant believe this is still going on. i read that like 6 months ago

x2

Back