• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air compressor

Tainterlakeisgreen

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for some information about converting a 96 XJ's air conditioning compressor to pump air. I have seen a few articles but I would like to know if anyone here as done it. Any tips? A part/price list? I want to know what I'm getting into before I start.
This is what I have gathered so far about what i need: a way to provide the pump with oil, a pressure cut off switch for the clutch, safety release, a tank, hoses etc.

It would be mainly for filling tires of people who need air (only a few psi) or inflating air mattresses but I might also plan to use some air tools next year if I want to redo my floorboards.

Chris

Looking for some information about converting a 96 XJ's air conditioning compressor to pump air. I have seen a few articles but I would like to know if anyone here as done it. Any tips? A part/price list? I want to know what I'm getting into before I start.
This is what I have gathered so far about what i need: a way to provide the pump with oil, a pressure cut off switch for the clutch, safety release, a tank, hoses etc.

It would be mainly for filling tires of people who need air (only a few psi) or inflating air mattresses but I might also plan to use some air tools next year if I want to redo my floorboards.

Chris

Yea I have thought about doing this before too. Too bad I value my AC, I think i will just buy a 12v air pump for the tires and mattress kind of things.

You probably need to install some sort of relay unless you want to use the existing in-cab controls.

Yep, do a search, it can be done for less than $100 using the existing factory compressor. There was also a thread where a guy added a York compressor in addition to his factory one, keeping his A/C and also having the power and volume of a belt driven compressor. That looked like a bunch of work, but a very cool end result.

Back