• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power windows

danimal2

NAXJA Forum User
O.k. done to death.........I know, I've done the search. I'm 90% sure that my driver's side front regulator is worn out. It works, but is slow and kinda jaunts the glass sideways on the way up or down so the window isn't going moving straight in the track. You have to kind of nurse it up the last inch or so. The question is are all four regulators the same part, or is each one different. All the rest of them work fine, but it makes sense that the driver's would wear out first. Typically the most used of the bunch.

On a good note, they're all four still riveted in so most likely original equipment from 92.

My 2001 Dodge Dakota has a different part # for each of the four regulators and get this.........they all have a different price.

Thanks

Last edited:
Looks like it's different. You want part number 5515 4717. For reference the front right (passenger side) regulator is 5515 4716. If you want to take a look it's on page 858 of the PDF version of the 91-93 parts catalog, figure number is 23C-1600.

EDIT: apparently this part number has been superceded by part number 5523 5207, mopardiscountparts wants $145! :scared: I would go to the junkyard personally.

Thanks for all the info. I hear ya on the JY thing. The only problem I see is you will have to replace with a driver's side front from the donor vehicle. Once again being the driver's door it probably sees four times the use of any other window on the thing and will likely be pretty well worn out too.

This is one time where I would probably opt to actually buy a new part from the stealership than do a JY deal.

I'll use the part number you put up and see if I can't fine a deal out there somewhere.

Thank you again.

I did a search using the part number you put up. Not sure if the part number works though. It shows up as a Grand Cherokee part.

01-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Window Regulator

Auto Parts StorePrice AM-Autoparts $51.95

Found this on the same site though. Not terrible at $115 w/free ship and handling

Availability: In Stock, Ships Within 1 Business Day
AM Autoparts Price: $115.50
Year Range: 1987 - 1996
FREE SHIPPING AND HANDLING!

Specifications:

• NEW LEFT SIDE FRONT CHEROKEE / COMANCHE / WAGONEER POWER WINDOW REGULATOR!
  • Includes motor!
  • Driver Side Front
Brand NEW fitting the following years and models:

• 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 Jeep Cherokee
  • 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 Jeep Comanche
  • 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 Jeep Wagoneer
Product #: AM-38779135

Dan

Last edited:
... slow and kinda jaunts the glass sideways on the way up or down so the window isn't going moving straight in the track. ....

This is often just the rubber window guide insert. The window moves up and down in a metal C channel that has a rubber insert. The rubber insert can came loose and fold over or twist, pinching the glass and slowing the motor. Take the trim off the door, pull the rubber out of the C channel and re-seat the rubber flat and smooth.

Yeah, I've been in there and done it. It's even slow with the rubber removed. I'm in Arizona and although it's great for no rust on metal parts, it's terrible for rubber, plastic, and wood. Everything dry rots real quick out here and the window pieces are no exception.

I pulled all the track stuff out, made sure it went back in properly and it probably needs replaced too. Definitely not what I'd call pliable........

So now make sure that your window motor has good 12v connections. If the hot or the ground has a chafed wire or poor connection, you will have high resistance and low voltage at the motor. As a test, bypass all the wires and switches and power the regulator motor directly with a 12v source.

Wait a minute. Is that with power windows or manual? I may have given you the wrong number, hopefully I did not or you haven't ordered yet. I'll check again.

I gave you the manual numbers, really hope you didn't order yet :( The power window regulator number for the driver (front left) door is 5503 4115 for a '91 or 5515 4629 for a '92/93. This apparently does not include the drive cables. See figure 23C-1700 in the 91-93 parts catalog (i.e. make sure I'm not wrong again :scared:)

EDIT:
Wouldn't a driver's side rear door regulator fit?
According to my parts catalog, no. It might be adaptable but I don't know for sure.

EDIT2: oh, you are looking at the aftermarket ones and what you posted includes a motor. Whew.

I'll check that Tim. I've got a spare battery that I use just for troubleshooting. Really comes in handy. The driver's door had a missing stop lever deal on it when we bought it. Could be those wires have been stretched out a few times over who knows how long a period.

Yeah Kastein, normally I woudn't even think about a dealership for parts. Funny though I was on my way past one (dealership) while working this morning and just for grins dropped in for a price check. Can you believe they wanted over $500 for the regulator and motor. Even the parts counter guy flipped when he saw the price.

Tugalo, according to everything I've looked at each door/window is it's own piece. You could probably swap motors around, but I believe everything else is designated. Could be wrong about that though.

Last edited:
over 500, holy christ... you can buy a whole new XJ for that much in some areas of the country!

I know. I was amazed. When the guy pulled it up I saw his jaw drop and he muttered a "holy shi!" under his breath.

He said, "take a guess".

Me $250

Him "double that + change".

I was going to get the little door swingy stoppy piece I mentioned above and that was $60.00

JY here I come.

Back