• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Life expectancy of Dorman Pressure bottle?

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
My OEM pressure bottle was starting to split so I had to replace it right away.. I picked up a dorman at O'Reilly for $33. I remember reading that these are not near as good as OEM.. but how bad are they? It has a life time warranty.. but should I buy an extra to carry?

if it were me i'd just find an excuse to swap in the 91+ HO rad. and just uppgrage to a open cooling system. IMO

You could also consider using a pressure bottle out of a 1994-1996 Caprice or Roadmaster with the LT1, IIRC the pressures are almost the same and the bottles are a lot thicker and larger. The tough part would be figuring out where to put it.

if it were me i'd just find an excuse to swap in the 91+ HO rad. and just uppgrage to a open cooling system. IMO

yes, that is your opinion, and i'll respect that, but MY opinion, open system is not necessarily an upgrade. As to the previous question above, you can get an autozone bottle, I've been running this one for 3 years now, and just beginning to show stress cracks...!!!1

As long as it gives a little bit of a warning that its going to fail.. I don't mind replacing it from time to time since its free. The autozone one is Dorman too I believe.. you'd think they would improve their design if they are constantly having to shell out replacements under warranty.

My experience with the cheapo Chinese pressure bottles is that the caps are total crap.

Use the cheapo bottle with the cheapo cap, but add a worm clamp as the threads won't hold for very long. Get a dealership cap, or better yet a further upgrade is to use a Stant Volvo cap part number 11244 for $8.95. The Volvo cap is lower profile, so it tends to be crushed less by the hood, and is supposed to be 22 lb cap. Look up Ecomike's long running cooling system discussions, he covers it quite well.

And don't overfill the bottle, no more than 1/2 full when cold.

The coolant tank on mid 90s Dodge Intrepids and Chrysler Concorde works great, it only needed one hose adapter for the return hose to make it work. I got the tank off the passenger side of a 96 concorde. I made a bracket to hold mine (not really sure if it needs one but better safe than sorry) and mounted it where the stock bottle was after removing the stock bottle and its shelf.

yes, that is your opinion, and i'll respect that, but MY opinion, open system is not necessarily an upgrade. As to the previous question above, you can get an autozone bottle, I've been running this one for 3 years now, and just beginning to show stress cracks...!!!1
Since we all have an opinion, here's mine..

Closed cooling system FTMFL.. and converting to Open cooling IS An upgrade.. How so? no pressure bottle = NO MORE ISSUES

:thumbup:

The bottles are still available from the dealer and are only around $45. I have one that is around 4 years old with no issues. I lowered my bottle to keep it from hitting the hood.

I like the closed system, much more efficient as long as there are no leaks! This is key to any cooling system but with a closed system it is also mandatory. Fix your leaks then stay with the closed system.

The bottles are still available from the dealer and are only around $45. I have one that is around 4 years old with no issues. I lowered my bottle to keep it from hitting the hood.

I like the closed system, much more efficient as long as there are no leaks! This is key to any cooling system but with a closed system it is also mandatory. Fix your leaks then stay with the closed system.

Wish I had known that and I would have gotten OEM..

I do plan to keep the closed system because I've just finished replacing a lot of hoses, and I'm having a closed style radiator repaired. But just out of curiosity, how is the closed system more efficient?

Back