• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what did i do wrong?

HuntMarsh

NAXJA Forum User
switched out the starter tonight for one from autozone. remanufactured. threw it in there and went to start it up, and i'm getting nothing but a quiet hum, no clicking, to turning over, just a hum. i'm starting to question my ability to do such simple tasks on this vehicle. anybody ever had this problem?? could i have some wires wrong or something? i even took it out and reinstalled it again and still nothing.

Or your original problem was not the starter?

With a meter, check for approximately 12 volts directly at the starter itself with the key in the ON position.

If you have full battery voltage at the starter, then as mentioned, you may have a bad starter out of the box. Happens more than you think, especially with "remanufactured" products.

If you don't have full battery voltage at the starter, you need to start working your way back into the engine bay to find out why not.

the original starter had problems with the solenoid working intermittently, would turn over for a second, then wouldnt and just spin, then would, then wouldnt, etc etc.

Make sure all batt connections are clean and tight. Make sure the starter connections are clean and tight. Try swapping the starter relay w/ the ac relay. Make sure your battery is charged. Measure voltage at starter below while someone above is attempting to start. Did you think the hum was from the starter or is it your fuel pump?

Did the starter that you put in have 1 or 2 little terminals on it besides the main 1. If it has/had 2 make sure you put it on the right 1.

As BirchlakeXJ said check to make sure you have 12v at the starter on the large wire and in addition check the small wire going to the starter as well to see that it gets 12v as the key is in the crank position(so yes you will need 2 people to do that).

i'm getting more of a response from the old one working everynow and then rather than this new one that just hums.

when you go to start the car, does anything else make a humming noise? because i'm working by myself and its hard to tell when im in the cab starting it where the noise is coming from, but i'm just assuming its the starter.

i'm getting more of a response from the old one working everynow and then rather than this new one that just hums.

when you go to start the car, does anything else make a humming noise? because i'm working by myself and its hard to tell when im in the cab starting it where the noise is coming from, but i'm just assuming its the starter.

The way you are explaining the humming sound, it sounds like the fuel pump to me. I agree with others in the thread, try switching out the starter at the store. i haven't had good luck with Re-mans either.

.....what did i do wrong?

You bought a remanufactured starter from AutoZone.

A properly remanufactured starter has all of the wearable and breakable parts replaced with quality repair parts. A cheap remanufactured starter has the parts that "look bad" replaced. Now you have a starter with some crappy Chinese repair parts and some old parts waiting to fail. Go to NAPA and get their best quality remanufactured starter.

A lifetime warranty is not much good if you are installing your second or third cheap starter in the mud and rain.

Back