• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

school me on an axle beam

Ba-Riedo

has frame envy
Say someone wants to do a WJ brake upgrade on a 2wd axle beam, how are the outers made up? You have no shafts going through the unit bearing so is it a different unit bearing all together? Let me know how this works...

-Alex

I know that when they switched from the one piece hub/rotor to unit bearing style they used a dummy shaft for 2wd, were there 2wd WJ's?

The xj 2wd beam uses the same unitbearing as a 4wd but it just has a little stub of an axle shaft instead of the whole shaft on a 4wd. To tell the truth just about everything looked interchangable from the beam to the xj d30 but it's been a good year since I have looked.

So if we wanted to we could put a stub shaft into the unit bearing on the WJ knuckles with a axle beam?

-Alex
No clue but if you can do it on an xj d30 then it should work on the 2wd beam.

Yes you can.

My buddy Adam (reelbigdundy87) on here pulled his WJ setup from a 2wd.

Had all the same stuff as a 4wd WJ except this weird thing inside the hub I think? Obviously to keep the preload on the bearing.

simply run just a stub shaft with the ears trimmed or one of the dummy 2wd stubs. no need for the hub spacers since you dont have to worry about centering the u-jonit anymore. 91-99 hubs with re-drilled wj rotors should line up with the caliper. my thoughts at least...

maybe its an early xj/mj thing

but my 1990 comanche has a spindle and regular ol' fashioned wheel bearings

I've seen 2wd XJ's with hubs instead of spindles, it seems to be just what they have available that day.

But yeah, you can run the WJ knuckles on a 2wd beam with no problem.. just run a stub with no inner axle.

I think you will still need to address centering the caliper on the rotor, though.

I've seen 2wd XJ's with hubs instead of spindles, it seems to be just what they have available that day.

But yeah, you can run the WJ knuckles on a 2wd beam with no problem.. just run a stub with no inner axle.

I think you will still need to address centering the caliper on the rotor, though.

ok, fair enough then...

if you were interested in 2wd, which would you consider stronger/more durable?

Forgetting more durable, I'd go with the hub setup over the spindles. If you break a spindle, you have to replace the entire knuckle.

You can carry a spare hub under your seat.

Forgetting more durable, I'd go with the hub setup over the spindles. If you break a spindle, you have to replace the entire knuckle.

You can carry a spare hub under your seat.

x2. or, if you are creative with your spare tire mounting, you can bolt it to a plate and mount your spare tire to your spare hub as Remi (Kejtar) and im sure others have done.

the wheel bearings on my comanche are pretty pansy lookin' granted they only run 28" tires, but id rather have a unit bearing with a dummy shaft if i was goin fast with it on larger tires

Back