• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I don't want a Half Ton XJ!

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well just before leaving Rausch the other weekend, we pulled the ol' XJ onto the truck scales across from the Hampton Inn. All loaded up including me, she tipped the scales at over 4800 pounds!! O.M.G. Not cute. I just don't get it. I've seen guys with aftermarket bumpers & 35s claim less weight.

I have 3 Rusty's underbody skids, upper 1/4 panel armor, stock gas tank skid (but not stock on my XJ), 32s on steel, Detours rear bumper/carrier, AJ's super rails, Kargo Master rack. That's all the "accessories" I have that carry any significant weight. Oh, and my spare. Only thing I'm REALLY willing to give up is the rack. I can remove the spare D30 shafts, & trim down some of the other spare gear & fluids I carry. Can someone please help me drop some real weight on this pig? I plan on 33-12.50s as soon as the Swampers fade away, but hauling this kind of weight, well ... I dunno.

And I'm keeping my doors, thank you very much. Ideas guys?

you any good at bending aluminum? Or you have any skill with fiberglass? Honestly not much you can gut out of them. Sorry i know not what your hoping for.

Make a very big, canvas covered, sunroof? that way you still have doors and a good tan. i am only half kidding, i dunno.

are aluminum wheels any lighter? if they are you'd lose the weight in general, but also cut down on rotational resistance when on the skinny pedal.

I can see the dilemna.

i would rather have all that weight and spare parts, then lose 500lbs and be screwed.

You wouldnt save any weight by going topless. That sheet metal doesnt weight much, you would save some with the glass, but you would gain it all back when you have to put in a cage to stiffen it back up so it doesnt taco.

Just deal with it like the rest of us do. get a cheap DD, and forget about it.

the cherokee stock weights close to 4k pounds I believe, so that sounds pretty accurate loaded up with you and the tires, skids, etc.
Stock XJs weigh in between 2900 and 3500 lbs. I weighed mine with a 3" BB and 30s with 3/4 tank of gas, and it was 3420 lbs.

Well just before leaving Rausch the other weekend, we pulled the ol' XJ onto the truck scales across from the Hampton Inn. All loaded up including me, she tipped the scales at over 4800 pounds!! O.M.G. Not cute. I just don't get it. I've seen guys with aftermarket bumpers & 35s claim less weight.

The difference between you and those guys that claim less is that you actually put your rig on the scales. Remember, this is the Internet. I believe about 1/3 of what I read on these forums. I've found that the best information comes from people that have actually done the work (not just regurgitated from their memory what they've read elsewhere) or have 1st hand knowledge of the subject. Take the guys that claim less weight with a grain of salt and stop worrying. It weighs what it weighs.

Half ton? One ton is 2000 lbs. Two tons is 4000 lbs. So wouldn't your jeep weigh over two tons?

guys, a deuce and a half (2.5 ton truck) weighs 18 thousand pounds loaded. The "half ton" refers to the cargo capacity obviously... a half ton truck otherwise would be a large motorcycle with a sidecar.

that's how I read it anyways...

alrighty then. learn something new every day.

Mine scaled 3200 stock, was 4500 when I last scaled it. It happens. Steel bumpers, sliders, racks, skid-plates are all heavy, bigger tires, all of the spare parts and recovery equipment, it adds up in a hurry.

Um, how much mud was on the truck when you weighed it?

I scaled mine at the local dump (weigh going in, weigh going out, pay per pound for the difference) many years back when it was stock. I think it was around 3400, and I think that was with a nearly full tank.

the cherokee stock weights close to 4k pounds I believe, so that sounds pretty accurate loaded up with you and the tires, skids, etc.

More like 3200.

Back