• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering swap help please

snowboard3r411

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i have a 1989 2.5l 5 speed comanche and it has no power steering ugh. so today i took out the pully and gear box. now then i have a 1990 4.0l aw4 cherokee as a donor and a 1993 jeep wrangler 2.5l ax-15 as a donor as well. so today i tryed but the whole set up from the cherokee and put it in the comanche pull was sitting back about 1/4 inch? maybe off of the water pump so in other words the pull assembly needs to be spaced forward. but i was also thinking about grabbing the pump off the wrangler to see if it would sit forward more. has anyone done this power swap before and tell me what model and year it came off of? thanks guys

hmm no help on naxja figures

In a hurry?

Anyway, neither the 1990 4.0 pump or the 1993 2.5 pump match the original parts on a power steering equipped Comanche. That said, it couldn't hurt to check the Wrangler pump and see if it would be a closer fit.

Good luck.

hmm no help on naxja figures

I really hope you where trying to be sarcastic there!!!!! Be patient. No one on at the time might have done a non-power steering to a power steering swap. Myself being one that has not done it on that vehicle.

Is there enough room to space the whole bracket forward that holds the p/s pump to help align the pulleys? It would probably be easier to get the whole set-up out of an 89" MJ or XJ with a 2.5L, instead of trying to fab/modify the brackets.

if you know where and how to search you will be better off then giving attitude when help isn't immediately there.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18058&hilit=adding+power+steering

if you have not asked the mj groups ask here.
http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/index.php

If the pulley difference is only 1/4 inch, how about getting a p/s pulley puller and moving it on the shaft? I don't know how much allowance there is in this, but the pulley is a press fit, so it might be possible just to realign it if you don't have to pull it forward past the end of the shaft.

If the pulley difference is only 1/4 inch, how about getting a p/s pulley puller and moving it on the shaft? I don't know how much allowance there is in this, but the pulley is a press fit, so it might be possible just to realign it if you don't have to pull it forward past the end of the shaft.

Brilliant! :yelclap:

Back