• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cherokee's distrubtor won't rotate.

tonexj

NAXJA Forum User
just bought my 3rd cherokee, a 93'. cranks fine has fuel at the rail but it won't spark i pulled the cap off and the rotor won't spin when cranking does this mean bad distributor or one of those other many ignition problems with this thing?

edit: nevermind the gear is stripped, new drive gear!

Last edited:
My first question is why. This is pretty rare. At the least you need to change the oil and filter a couple of times to help get the metal out of the system. Inspect the gear on the cam. If it is messed up, you are simply going to wear out the new gear.

Make sure the bushings in the distributor are keeping the shaft caged with little slop.

yeah i understand. the oil pump gear seems to be fine. with the new distributor i cant get it timed right it seems. i find top dead center then install the distributor with the rotor at #1 and it will not start for me. is there a trick im missing

TDC on the compression stroke, not exhaust.....

im aware of that. im findin tdc on the #1 cylinder then i put the distributor in with the rotor facing the #1 cap location. is this correct?

Did you check the oil pump? There is no such thing as an oil pump gear.

im doing it on the damn compression stroke! ive checked the oil pump it rotates and im having trouble getting my jeep to start whilst installing this distributor. if i keep the hold down bolt out and advance the timing itll idle until the distributor pops up like it skipped a tooth even know it cant, i need some direction herre

im doing it on the damn compression stroke! ive checked the oil pump it rotates and im having trouble getting my jeep to start whilst installing this distributor. if i keep the hold down bolt out and advance the timing itll idle until the distributor pops up like it skipped a tooth even know it cant, i need some direction herre
In that case advance the oil pump slot a little, and put the distributor in one tooth advanced from what you've been doing, and try it again. Don't get bogged down on where you think the rotor should point. It's approximate. If it starts now but bogs, it's probably a tooth retarded. If you're not sure where things are supposed to end up, mark where the rotor falls now, and just make sure that your next try puts it a little in advance of the mark. Remember that the rotor will turn a little as you install it, and start it accordingly.

Back