• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf springs worn

Uhmm I have never seen those....hmm...I dont think they will work but correct me other people of NAXJA if I am wrong.

I am not sure what you are talking about about the shock springs either.

Here are some options.

Get Shackles that have some lift like these

Get lift blocks (this will REALLY wear out your leafs and isnt recommended for long periods of time, but if you are going to be buying your whole kit soon, it is an option

Build a bastard pack using other leaf packs.

HERE and HERE are some GREAT writeups

If I'm reading the description of the coils right, it sounds as if they may only offer overload boost without increasing unloaded height. So they may help with scraping tires, but not with the initial sag. You will at least need to measure the length of the coils to see how they'll fit when unloaded.

I don't know how the coils would work, but as an alternative, if you just want to restore height and stop hitting the bump stops, you might search here for threads dealing with adding a leaf. Especially if you can get hold of another old set of XJ leaves, perhaps from someone who has tossed them for a lift, it's really easy to cut down a leaf and add it to the pack. The U-bolts can take one more leaf in thickness, so all you need is a new center bolt and clips. One more leaf should put you pretty well back to stock height even if your springs have sagged a good deal.

Here's what I've done with both my current saggy old Jeeps, with good results. I got more or less back to stock height, firmed up the ride on bumps, without changing the basic ride much. Others have gotten similar results just cutting the eyes off a main leaf and putting it as leaf #2 beneath the main, but I thought this a bit neater, and it removes some of the negative arch.

jeepsprings.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

If I'm reading the description of the coils right, it sounds as if they may only offer overload boost without increasing unloaded height. So they may help with scraping tires, but not with the initial sag. You will at least need to measure the length of the coils to see how they'll fit when unloaded.

I don't know how the coils would work, but as an alternative, if you just want to restore height and stop hitting the bump stops, you might search here for threads dealing with adding a leaf. Especially if you can get hold of another old set of XJ leaves, perhaps from someone who has tossed them for a lift, it's really easy to cut down a leaf and add it to the pack. The U-bolts can take one more leaf in thickness, so all you need is a new center bolt and clips. One more leaf should put you pretty well back to stock height even if your springs have sagged a good deal.

Here's what I've done with both my current saggy old Jeeps, with good results. I got more or less back to stock height, firmed up the ride on bumps, without changing the basic ride much. Others have gotten similar results just cutting the eyes off a main leaf and putting it as leaf #2 beneath the main, but I thought this a bit neater, and it removes some of the negative arch.

jeepsprings.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Yea what you have done would probably be best,And i dont think i have to remove my top spring from the factory shackles..So what you suggested would b the best fix for the problem i have..Thanks for the pic.

Yeah dude, don't bother with the gizmo's. Just add a leaf. I had the same problem until last month, but I totally ripped out my springs and rebuilt them using at least three new springs from another pack.

I got a bunch of lift, and a stiffer ride, but it's only temporary.

If you merely want to bring it back to stock, just leave the main one on and throw in another leaf.

If you can find a trailer shop in your town, they can make you new U-Bolts, complete with the washers and nuts for about ten bucks each. You can get bigger rod if you like, and even keep the threads a bit longer too, in case your new lift kit comes sooner than you think. If the bolts aren't old, I imagine it's okay to reuse them. The factory ones though... Take them in to use as a measuring tool. Other than that, throw them away.

Back