• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dex IIE vs. Dex III ?

PO-Dan

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. My owners manual says use Dex III. The FSM says Dex IIE. I know, the drain plug on my AW4 says DEXII. I went to the dealership and they said to use the III. I stopped at PepBoys and all the carried was III.

Who do you go with -- your owners manual or the FSM?

Also, PepBoys had Valvoline high mileage DEXIII. Would that work for me, or is there a stash of DexIIE just waiting to be found elsewhere?

I've never heard of DEXIIE? Maybe its just DEXII with a weird name?

Dexron IIE is "energy saving" Dexron II, a slightly improved version, completely interchangeable. I run Dexron III in both 1990 Jeep AW4 trannies (OEM spec was Dexron II). The DIII is a later-spec Dexron that provides slightly superior performance (temperature resistance to breakdown). No probelm at all, use Dexron III, it's better for the tranny.

In my owners manual, it states that I should use DEXII in one part of the manual, and then DEXIII in all the others. Someone made a typo, one that should not be made in manuals talking about fluids.

Well, since all I seem to see here locally is the III -- thats what I will use. Does anyone know if the Valvoline for high mileage makes any difference. For that matter, does the less expensive "no-name" stuff work just as well as the $3.99 stuff?

Thanks for all the help!

The high mileage stuff has a more robust seal swell package. If you don't have any trans leaks, I'd use the normal Mercon/Dexron III. The M/D IIE hasn't been produced in years, and is an obslete fluid replaced by the III.

The no-name ATF is produced on the same line as the name brands, has the same specs, and is indeed the same fluid, just packed in a 'house brand' container. I always buy the cheapest I can find, and change it regularly.

Last edited:
Is there any harm in changing it like every 6000 miles like every other oil change?

That would be an excellent change interval. It's easy to do since we have a drain plug on these XJs.

From experience the AW4 tranny doesnt care about the change intervals as long as they arent spaced too long apart and the tranny really doesnt like any high end dexron fluids. I am guessing these high end tranny fluids are part synthetic and that will kill that tranny. Trust me on this one, use the plane jane mercon-dexronII/III, that you get for a few bucks a quart and save yourself the headache. The AW4 is a pretty strong tranny that doesnt need much.

pete

Add a new name to the list of Dexron fluids - Universal - there are licensed name issues now cropping up due to the name (only) moving up with late models to a newer fluid that may not be back compatible. I think I was told it will be DEX V or something, so read the labels to be sure.

Back