• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop Brackets vs Y-link Long-arms

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Which would perform better between control arm drop brackets ($200) and a Y-link long-arm set up ($600)? The drop brackets seem like they would do the same thing as a 4-link kit, but for a fraction of the cost... they just don't have that long-arm "cool factor".

What are some pros and cons of each? Preferably with facts or logic to back it up.

Thanks,
Jeep450r

It's really been beaten to death.

At full (read: crazy) articulation the longarms will perform better.

On-road and moderate wheeling, the drop brackets actually offer better geometry.

(I did the math sometime recently, I'll try to find it and post again...)

Robert

Drop brackets will put the control arms perfectly level at 4.5" lift, about 2* at 5" lift, and less than 6* even at 6" lift.

Longarms, mounted at frame height, would have to be over four feet long to match the 6* at 6", twelve feet long to match 2* at 5", and can never be long enough to get perfectly level.

Robert

And dont forget about the loss of ground clearance w/ db's.

You can go anywhere in Northern California with drop brackets, and it'll give you what, an extra $400 for fuel to get there.

And dont forget about the loss of ground clearance w/ db's.

Anything the axle-side LCA mount will clear, the dropbracket will clear right behind it.

Besides, it's essentially a piece of 1/4" wall, 4x4 box tube mounted on end.

You may scrape the powdercoat, but you're not going to hurt it.

hasta

Robert

i would rather have 5" of lost clearance 16" behind the front axle than 3" of lost clearance 30" behind the front axle like some longarms

...expensive skids....

y link has a beefy skid with it as well and it actually improves ground clearance

Im still kind of torn between the two... Any more input?

I've never contributed to a thread on this topic, prefer the LA, prefer Claytons, prefer the Cadillac ride and the flex. Never considered a drop bracket. I guess it depends on the investment one wants to make............gettin by or gettin it done.....although Im also the guy that throws sway bars away and laughs at skid plates, go figure.....

2 cent....

I recently tackled this issue...decided since it wouldn't take long to save the money, I'd go with long arms. I'm still working on the Claytons install, but I doubt I'll be disappointed with the decission.

It is money, yes, but I can always make that money back later.

~Scott

I would personally rather have y-links with super flex joints over short arms with DB's. That being said I have not heard from anyone with drop brackets who reported ever getting stuck on them.

I've never run LAs, but I can tell you from my limited experience with drop brackets that they flex just fine:yelclap:
5" lift, RC DBs, Adjustable UCAs and LCAs
DSC_0724.jpg

I'm running the Rock Krawler 3 link. I was torn between DBs and LA, but figured, for the cost, I liked the 3 link. But I already had the lift height I wanted. I had RE fixed LCAs, so I would've been looking at buying adj uppers and lowers, plus the DBs, that was about the same price as the 3 link upgrade kit.

Back