• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need urgent help 97+ starter/battery issue

hupo224

NAXJA Forum User
Hi so now its come to the point where I hve no power at all when I turn the key on. For the past couple of days my starter would "free" spin and I'd have to wack it with the hammer. My battery has been crappy and I had to get a couple of jumps. But It's holding some power now and I just tried getting a jump again and there are no lights or any power going on when I turn the key. I checked the fuses under the hood. I was going to go to Rausch creek tomorrow. I'd still like to. Please if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Check the battery with a voltmeter, got anything?

Sounds like you need a starter, possibly a cable, and a battery. The bad starter could easily have over-stressed the battery when you were nursing it, it is also possible that there is a bit of a short in the starter causing a parasitic draw so it loses voltage while it should be resting.

Pics. not like it matters.

img0334vd.jpg

img0335wq.jpg

img0336ej.jpg

So replace the starter and possibly the battery too?

GOD DOES NOT WANT ME GOING TO RAUSCH CREEK
Have your battery tested at an auto parts store. So you can possibly rule that out. If it is bad replace it and see if that helps if not check the starter and wiring. Surely someone can give you a lift there!

A couple points.

First get that battery secured before you go wheeling! You don't want to battery to pitch over and push the fan through the radiator. Generally that kills the radiator, the battery, spread acid everywhere (rust!), and sometimes results in a fire.

Second - That battery is filthy! If you had any charge I'd tell you to put one lead on a battery terminal and the other directly on the dirt of the battery, I bet you'd pull a good six or eight volts by looking at it. Batteries should be kept clean, to do so make sure the cell covers are nice and tight then wash them off with a mixture of baking soda and water (this neutralizes acids) and a nylon brush. Once all the crud is off simply rinse it with water. The dirt will carry a charge and will act as a parasitic loss so it's best to curtail that.

Now your battery is probably toast if I'm reading that meter right (zero charge!). You can take it to an auto parts store for testing but they can't even test it until it's got a charge, right now put it on a charger.

Well I was just about to pull my starter. I'll grab some baking soda and water and see if I can clean the battery up. Maybe I can get a better charge. BLAH

Also I have the clamp for the battery I just have to put it back on. My grandma has a donor battery lol brand new. I just borrowed the the tester again and a tool for cleaning the terminals.

Well I was just about to pull my starter. I'll grab some baking soda and water and see if I can clean the battery up. Maybe I can get a better charge. BLAH

If you were hitting it with a hammer your starter solenoid is toast, no way around that, the question now is your battery. I'd pull it out and clean it up then put it on a charger (assuming you have one) while you're working on the starter issue. When you're removing the starter take your time, once you have the starter out carefully examine the cabling, both at the battery end and the starter end. You might also take a multi-meter and check the continuity between the little connector and big connector on the starter end of the wiring loom, it should be a completely open circuit (infinity), if it's not first try cleaning it, if it still shows any continuity you'll need to replace wiring.

So I put the battery on the charger (after I cleaned her up) and I put the tester to it and showed it had decent charge. So I put it back in the jeep and I hook it up and saw some sparks. I go to turn my key and still nothing. No lights or anything. I put the tester to the battery again and the battery is dead already. So it's back on the charger. Going to crawl underneath and see what I can do.

Dude I haven't even started on my truck yet. Looks like you are moving along though.

Back