• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hollow Stock Flares?

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Im lining up a set of 33x12.50 BFG A/T for my 98 XJ on 4.5-5" of lift. Obviously Im going to need to trim. I was thinking I might be able to minimize the amount I have to move my stock flares up (can't ditch them here) by hollowing them out, like yj or tj flares. Probably cutting the bottom lip off them, and then all sheet metal not needed below the mounting points. Are the stock flares rigid enough to do this?

the only problem with that is the mounting bracket for the factory flares will still be in the way. even if you trim the fenders and move the flare and bracket up you can only cut so much. you have to leave the mounting bracket.

If that makes sense.

It does, but say the mounting brackets are an inch above the edge of the sheet metal. If you trim up to the mounting brackets, probably trim them and move the mounting holes up there also, and hollow the flares to make use of that trimming, its less distance up you would have to move the flares when you remount them as is done in the FAQ thread. By hollow I mean like a TJ flare, no bottom solid piece like the XJ flare, so the tire can go up inside the flare when flexing.

I did it to mine, you can trim about 1/2" and still use the same holes. The flares are plenty rigid to retain their shape. They rub in the front and rear of the tires WAY before they rub above the tire.

someone did this to the front flares on mine before i bought it. they are rigid enough to maintain their shape without the mounting bracket. as a bonus, they flex and recover very well when shoved into rocks and such....

Thanks thats the info I was looking for. Im also going to look into not using the bracket, maybe try to catch the upper lip with screws, or marine epoxy. This would allow even more trimming with the flare in place.

Back