• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Garage day tomorrow. (Saturday 24th)

stumpXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just throwing this out there. I am making coil spacers on my lathe tomorrow for a friend and his Land Rover Disco, and we will be putting them on after they are finished. I may also do a little work on the XJ when finished.

Anyone in the area is welcome to come by and hang out, help, point and laugh, give advice, drink a beer or if you have something to work on I have a little room, and any tool you would need.

Like I said, just throwing it out there, we usually just BS and have a cold beverage, but I am up for whatever.

My address is:

2785 Arborcrest Drive
Decatur, GA 30033

cell: 404-661-7025

Let me know if you can make it, we may order pizza or something if a few guys show up.

~James

Did you say PIZZA???:viking:
That sounds like fun. Unfortunately, I'm working the Fall For All at Grayrock this weekend:cheers:

That sounds like fun Stump and I love pizza, plus I need some crap out of your way I think. Sorry for delaying on that.

No problem Mark, its still here, we will get it figured out. I also have a spare tire that needs to go to Huntsvile...LOL.

Thanks guys, ~James

Had a good day today. Got a Land Rover 2 inches higher than it was with some homemade coil spacers, so mission accomplished. The front spacers too quite a bit of maching to get right, but when the chips cleared they worked like a champ.

2 inches aint much, but the Rover actually look a lot better than it did. Before, the tires seemed too big for the wheel wells, now they fit nicely. Sorry, no 'before' shots. Had a couple guys stop by, few beers were consumed, got a little bit dirt under the nails. All in all it was a good time. Took about 6 hours start to finish, making them and installing them.

~James

DSCN1317.jpg

DSCN1332.jpg

DSCN1333.jpg

DSCN1334.jpg

DSCN1335.jpg

DSCN1336.jpg

DSCN1337.jpg

DSCN1338.jpg

(drooling over garage and machining abilities) Sorry I missed it! I had to spend the day out in the woods at Grayrock....collecting moolah, and playing in the dirt....and the Jeep is full O Mud....Now I'm motivated to come visit THAT garage......(drooling some more):cheers:

Nice James! Where would a fella get a Mill like that? And 'bout how much do they run?

Tyler, I got that mill and a Lathe when I was in Germany. Its German made, and is on the small side for most things. I bought them both when I had my online business as I used to make custom parts in the R/C business, so it works great for that kind of stuff.

I paid 1300 Euros for the mill (about $1900.00 dollars at the time), and I also have about $500 in tooling, chucks, and a mill vise. I paid about $600 for the DRO (digital read out). The also make a CNC kit (no software) for about 1000 bucks for this mill.

They dont make or sell this mill over here, but there are plenty of comparable alternatives. Craigslist usually has some mills, also ebay. You can usually pick up a nice bridgeport in various 'trim' levels for a few thousand bucks, and the sky is the limit depending on automation and tooling.

I will likely inheret my fathers machines (Bridgeport mill, and a Mazak lathe) at some point, so I will make do with this smaller stuff for now.

Last edited:
Nice garage. A buddy put a 2" lift on his 97 Disco. It's amazing how much nicer it looks than it did stock.

yeah, I was thinking to my self 'this is gonna be a waste of time and effort' but it really does make it look like a much tougher truck, and less like a soccer mobile. My buddies is a 2003, and he wheels it pretty good for basically being stock. As I was underneath this thing, its got some pretty beefy stuff under it. I know it weighs a lot, about 5200 lbs.

~James

Yeah, he also got rid of the stock Disco rims, as they sat really far under the truck. It looked really top heavy.

He got some that stick out more and it looks pretty mean.

Back