• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear shock hoop- Through floor

ChristmasXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know its kinda funny question.

But i wanna run the shocks up through the floor board and then mount the shocks on top of the leaf spring mounts.

Does it really matter the actual length from the leaf spring shock mount into the cab mount?

I guess I could find a shock that i want to buy and then make it to that length. The reason I ask all this is I am going to fab up the shock mount through the floor before purchasing shocks.

I know its kinda funny question.

But i wanna run the shocks up through the floor board and then mount the shocks on top of the leaf spring mounts.

Does it really matter the actual length from the leaf spring shock mount into the cab mount?

I guess I could find a shock that i want to buy and then make it to that length. The reason I ask all this is I am going to fab up the shock mount through the floor before purchasing shocks.
You can do it before purchasing shocks, you need to find the collapsed and extended eye to eye lengths of your shocks you plan on purchasing before hand. Like if you wanted to run a 16" Bilstein, go on bilstein's site and read up on them.

Once that's done you'll want to disassemble your leaf packs, leaving only the main leaf. This is so you can compress your suspension to find out where you're going to set your bump stop. Once you do that, and you know where you axle is going to stop it's travel, you'll leave about a 1/2" - 1" of shock shaft left at that point. So you'll put your upper mounts the collapsed length of your shocks eye to eye.

Once you do that, and you know where you axle is going to stop it's travel, you'll leave about a 1/2" - 1" of shock shaft left at that point. So you'll put your upper mounts the collapsed length of your shocks eye to eye.
You also want to limit full drop the sames 1/2" - 1" dont let the shock be your limit strap.

dont forget to use wood to shim between the main spring and the plate to make up for the springs u take out for mock up.
The longer the shock the more oil to keep things cool, even though u dont need that much travel.

Back