• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what size shocks do you run with your tnt ylink?

cocoloco

NAXJA Forum User
i got my tnt ylink installed but the shocks are too short now with the 6inch skyjacker springs.what size do i need?

Do a little searching before just asking a question... please :D
Look here (not the same lift, but you will get the same answers):
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98828&highlight=shocks

Exactly what I posted in that thread:
Install the lift and then measure for your shocks and bumpstops (you're going to need them). It's the only way your going to get it right, every Jeep is unique.

Good Luck.

RCman said:
Do a little searching before just asking a question... please :D
Look here (not the same lift, but you will get the same answers):
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98828&highlight=shocks

Exactly what I posted in that thread:
Install the lift and then measure for your shocks and bumpstops (you're going to need them). It's the only way your going to get it right, every Jeep is unique.

Good Luck.

Agreed:wierd:

This seems to be a recurring question.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96240

Yeah, I know, measure after the lift is on, blah blah blah. Shouldn't have to. TnT should be able to send a generic shock to work with a 5.5" or 6". Most other companies do.

Sorry that I can't answer your question. You will have to accept the fact that TnT didn't do all of their homework before selling a product, and measure like the other guys suggested.

Call up TnT and ask them. When I ordered my TnT LA lift I discused shock options with the guys there and had them send my shocks along with my lift. Couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Trailbst said:
This seems to be a recurring question.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96240

Yeah, I know, measure after the lift is on, blah blah blah. Shouldn't have to. TnT should be able to send a generic shock to work with a 5.5" or 6". Most other companies do.

Sorry that I can't answer your question. You will have to accept the fact that TnT didn't do all of their homework before selling a product, and measure like the other guys suggested.
I disagree. Well, to a point.
Every Jeep is different. Some people have cut a significat portion of their fenders out. Others have not. Some people are running 32s on a 6'' lift, others are running 38s on the same lift. Every person is different. Each aplication that these long arms are used for varries. Every shock varries as well. Some will want a firmer shock, others a softer one. Most shocks are different with regards to how much drop and compression they have. The choice really depends apon the person and what their intended purpose is for the Jeep.
Basicly, I think that the TnT is a more advanced kit. If you want a bolt on kit that has everything included, go to RE or Skycrapper. If you want a shock for such and such a lift, look at the other kits and buy those shocks. Or go find a place to flex and measure what you want. It is really different for each person, so if TnT said which shock a person should get, it wont be true for every single person.

All that being said, I have about 6'' of lift and I have 12'' Bliteins:sad1:

i called tnt but all i get is the answering machine. right now my shocks are fully extented they way it sitting now on flat ground ,it measures 24inches.bump stop is 5inches. from what i understand i need to unhook the shocks and measure the droop.

Trailbst said:
TnT should be able to send a generic shock to work with a 5.5" or 6". Most other companies do.

I agree with you...IF he purchased an entire kit WITH bumpstops. If he just got the y-link, how should TnT know what else he's running. Lots of trimming with a little bumpstop would use a shorter shock to take advantage of uptravel. Less trimming or bigger tires with a lot of bumpstop would need a longer shock. Not to mention relocated shock mounting points or BPE's etc. etc.

Checking your own Jeep and measuring is best.

edit: Measure compressed height and get something just a hair shorter. Then you'll get the longest shock possible.

You could guess or trust someone else....Or spend the money once...

Whatever.

cocoloco said:
i got my tnt ylink installed but the shocks are too short now with the 6inch skyjacker springs.what size do i need?
I believe measure 6 times order once!Other than that if you just want some numbers,Im at 6" with Rancho 99255's and 99256's.
BTW,if your at 24" just sitting in the driveway youve got way more than 6" of lift!

Last edited:
Starboard M said:
I disagree. Well, to a point.
Every Jeep is different. Some people have cut a significat portion of their fenders out. Others have not. Some people are running 32s on a 6'' lift, others are running 38s on the same lift. Every person is different. Each aplication that these long arms are used for varries. Every shock varries as well. Some will want a firmer shock, others a softer one. Most shocks are different with regards to how much drop and compression they have. The choice really depends apon the person and what their intended purpose is for the Jeep.
Basicly, I think that the TnT is a more advanced kit. If you want a bolt on kit that has everything included, go to RE or Skycrapper. If you want a shock for such and such a lift, look at the other kits and buy those shocks. Or go find a place to flex and measure what you want. It is really different for each person, so if TnT said which shock a person should get, it wont be true for every single person.

All that being said, I have about 6'' of lift and I have 12'' Bliteins:sad1:

How does cutting the fenders change what size shock you need? Unless...because you now have more room to stuff the tire you decide to modify the bumpstop so you can stuff the tire more, but doesn't that mean you just modified the kit/system? Modifying the kit means that getting shocks that fit your specific application makes good sense. The fenders don't care what size shock you use.

How does the tire size determine shock size...unless maybe you mess with the bumpstops, and therefore available suspension travel? Again, doesn't that mean that the basic kit/system has been modified? Modifying the kit means that getting shocks that fit your specific application makes good sense. The tires don't care what size shock you use.

If you happen to order a full kit from TNT, it comes with bump stop extensions (as well as brake hoses, RE springs, etc.). If you run those extensions, there is only ONE compressed measurement possible, regardless of what size tire or if the fenders are cut...unless you're using the shocks as the bumpstop. But...wait...that would also be a modification from the basic kit/system supplied by the manufacturer. Using only the supplied suspension components means that the kit/system manufacturer should be able to reccomend or supply a shock of the correct dimensions and dampening to work with your application.

I agree with you...IF he purchased an entire kit WITH bumpstops.
We did :D TNT, as well as a bunch of people here, said "measuring for shocks" was the only option;)

Last edited:
If you are running bumpstops, there is only 1 amount of uptravel possible. Did you remove or mod the bumpstops? If not they should have an idea what shock will work with THIER kit......

One would think they had run into this before.....JMHO.

bobnoxious said:
How does cutting the fenders change what size shock you need? Unless...because you now have more room to stuff the tire you decide to modify the bumpstop so you can stuff the tire more, but doesn't that mean you just modified the kit/system? Modifying the kit means that getting shocks that fit your specific application makes good sense. The fenders don't care what size shock you use.

How does the tire size determine shock size...unless maybe you mess with the bumpstops, and therefore available suspension travel? Again, doesn't that mean that the basic kit/system has been modified? Modifying the kit means that getting shocks that fit your specific application makes good sense. The tires don't care what size shock you use.

If you happen to order a full kit from TNT, it comes with bump stop extensions (as well as brake hoses, RE springs, etc.). If you run those extensions, there is only ONE compressed measurement possible, regardless of what size tire or if the fenders are cut...unless you're using the shocks as the bumpstop. But...wait...that would also be a modification from the basic kit/system supplied by the manufacturer. Using only the supplied suspension components means that the kit/system manufacturer should be able to reccomend or supply a shock of the correct dimensions and dampening to work with your application.

We did :D TNT, as well as a bunch of people here, said "measuring for shocks" was the only option;)
If you cut the fenders, and have 6'' of lift with 29'' tires, you will be able to stuff a tire a lot more then with a 35'' tire. So, a 12'' tavel shock might have not enough compression for that person with the 29s. But that same shock might work for the person with the 35s. The bump stops are a factor, but each person might have a different set of bump stops. If you have stock bumpstops, and your tire still stuffs, you might need a smaller shock. I guess thats the same thing as above. Basicly what Im trying to say is each person will be different in regards to how much they want the axle to drop and compress. This might be due to size of tire (same as bump stops, because normally you bumpstop to keep the tires out of the fenders), or axles or other combinations.
I do agree with you on the kit though. Although, there are so many shocks out there, it would be hard to get numbers for every single possible shock that people might want. But again, other factors might come into play. But I guess they should try to get a list together for the basic person so that they dont have to go out and measure. But, is that really that hard? Took me 5 min to do mine.

Starboard, I agree. Measuring is the best way to get the most out of your suspension. Absolutely! It's also the best way to get what you (the driver) get what you want for supsension movement.

What I'm reading as the point is this: Some people want to be able to order EVERYTHING at once. Not order the Y-link, install it, measure for shocks, order the shocks, install them and then FINALLY get to drive their rig.

That's what I'm reading.

Erik

Back