• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Project

sic1to

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a 1988 xj with 3-4" of lift. Thinking about going 2 more "s will I need to replace upper & lower arms in front? What would u do with rear springs shackles,blocks,re-arch. was going to use coil spacers in front or no?

1st go to long arms and second buy a set of the proper arched rear springs. No blocks or shackles to get the proper height.

Personally I'd do a combination of higher arched springs and shackles on the back. Stock shackles are not going to be long enough to let the new springs flex/compress properly.

New coils in the front will cost you like 180 bucks from most sites I've seen, and DEFINITELY go longarms or drop brackets, preferably longarms.

EDIT: should this move to Mod Tech?

Rubicon Express has a nice long arm up grade IMO there the best for the money, but there are a few different companies that have them its all on how much you want to spend.

Spacers are fine in the front, and I agree with Kastein that a good arch spring and shackle work nice.

Also take into consideration that going up more means DL vibes, if you don't have a SYE maybe time to look into one as well.

RE longarm upgrade kit is $1,049.

RC drop brackets are $189.

"Bang for the buck," there's no comparison.

Robert

<Edit> Hell, the shipping on the RE LA is $130, that would almost buy the RC adjustable lower arms!

Last edited:
I am running 5 inches of lift and just got a set of RC lower arms to replace my RE fixed and they are SWEET! they are the new arms with flex joint and ride great! at 5 inches i have 3.5 RE lift coils, coil spacer for front and rear i have 1 inch block, stock with AAL and RE 1 inch shackle - rear rides very rough (this is my DD) so i am going to get ride of block and replace that 1 inch of lift with HD Eng. shackle relocation brackets, get my shackle angle correct which will made the rear ride much better and then get rid of AAL. the AAl always moves and never stays in line with leaf pack... anyways i have a RE hack and tap SYE so anyting above 4.5 to 5 inches look for Drop Brackets with adjustable arms to dial in pinion angle or go for Long arms - with that much lift i would skip the long arms and put some of that money into a full leaf pack and shackles and some good nitro shocks and maybe a sway bar disco...

RE longarm upgrade kit is $1,049.

RC drop brackets are $189.

"Bang for the buck," there's no comparison.

Robert

<Edit> Hell, the shipping on the RE LA is $130, that would almost buy the RC adjustable lower arms!

You are correct there is no comparison your talking drop brackets to a long arm upgrade. IMO if he has a lift kit already on his rig then $954 for RE long arms, mounts, and skid is a pretty decent deal IMO.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetail.aspx?partNo=R/ERE6330&jeep-parts=true
Buy it through the store and you dont pay shipping and could probably get it for closer to $900.

I wont tell him the best bang for his buck are RC control arm drops sorry. If thats what he chooses thats fine, I personally think that if someone has a lift and want to go bigger and better its worth every penny.

FWIW, I just bought a IRO long arm kit. Got the adjustable length...total of $699 and only $43 shipping. My recent experience with Rubicon Express tells me they do not stand behind their warranties.

I would not go drop brackets, but thats just me...you are your own person and you do what you wish. I dont recommend them though. There are several instances where if they were installed on my rig, I would have been hung up on them. Heck, in those instances I was about 1 inch off the stock LCA body bracket at 5" on 31s

I wont tell him the best bang for his buck are RC control arm drops sorry...

Well, you're certainly entitled to your preference, and when it come to the best of the best, it's hard to compete with RE.

But he asked about "bang for the buck." Performance per dollar.

I don't see how you can claim that any rig will perform five or six times as well with longarms, vs dropbrackets.

Even if we suppose that the LA's are say, twice as good; the DB's still blow em away, bang-for-the-buck.

Robert

Well, you're certainly entitled to your preference, and when it come to the best of the best, it's hard to compete with RE.

But he asked about "bang for the buck." Performance per dollar.

I don't see how you can claim that any rig will perform five or six times as well with longarms, vs dropbrackets.

Even if we suppose that the LA's are say, twice as good; the DB's still blow em away, bang-for-the-buck.

Robert

When did I say anything about five or six times better...... Wow all I said and you can go back and read, is for the money RE long arms are a good deal, and that I would not tell him to buy BD's that's all.

Why are you trying to put words in my mouth here? Its you opinion that DB "blow them away" that's fine.

So calm down reread the posts correctly and then come back and try it again. I am not here to fight with people. I install lift kits for a living, I install a ton of RE stuff so I recommend it when I can. I don't deal with drop brackets or Rough Country so I never say much if anything about them thanks!

He also asked in the same line where bang for a buck is stated he said (long arms).

EDIT: If you truly believe that DB's handle as good as a long arm kit your crazy. If this where true then why would a LA kit cost $2000-3000 and you can get a kit with DB's for $900.... that make a lot of sence. I guess all the R&D that companies put into long arm kits is a waste, right?

Last edited:
I'm perfectly calm, I did read your posts, and I'm not trying to put words in your mouth.

You didn't say they were five or six times as good.

I pointed out that they're five or six times as expensive.

Logically, they'd have to be five times as good, to get the same bang-for-the-buck, the same performance-per-dollar.

I'm not saying a DB is as good as a LA kit.

But it will do 90% of what the longarm will, at 1/6 the price. Therefore, the per-dollar return does, in fact, blow it away.

Robert

Last edited:

Robert

^ This is what I am talking about putting words in my mouth.
You made your point DB's are much cheaper than LA's I am happy for you, have a good night.

Sic1to
Just to clarify I was not trying to say a $1000 LA kit is the the best bang for your buck, sorry for not answering you question correct. I am just saying for the money its well worth it. If you choose to upgrade to any long arm kit you will be much happier then with drop brackets. Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

Alright, I shouldn't have said "you."

I don't see how a person could claim blah, blah, blah...

Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Robert

I'm going to have to go on the long arm side of this fence... I have two xjs sitting in my driveway right now. One has a Rusty's long arm ($800 and every bit as good as RE. imo, you pay for the name a bit with RE stuff. Great stuff don't get me wrong, i've got their boomarang shackles and love them! Just saying, price to price, quality to quality why pay more?) One with RE drop brackets. On ride quality is ten times better on and off road with the long arm. (i understand that they are not the same jeep and have almost no parts in common. This is just what i see when i drive each of them.) They are pretty similar lift configurations from different brands. Both started as a full 4.5" and both have spacers and either shacles or blocks & shacles in the rear for about 6" total lift.

Here are pictures of them i'll let you decide which has the better suspension.

l_900cbfb7e9214dbb995d2bbc0bafe37d.jpg

l_d309972ccde44348aea36a8261524908.jpg

VS

l_44d5bcd6514740b9bca0e9ec9a6c7d18.jpg

l_687fd3db4e2a4597b24da39717b3e6ae.jpg

For reference, before long arms. (no drop brackets)

l_99d4cd5bc1454175be577368c163c303.jpg

IMO, long arms were by far the best upgrade ever done on my Jeep.... Second, good cup holders! Just my opinion, not lookin for any fights here. I realize i can only comment on my experiences.

Last edited:
Back