• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Neutral Start Switch (NSS) Rebuild

I like the continuity testing visuals.

Good write-up. I just did this last weekend. Your XJ was clean! mine was covered in mud. The switch was kind of hard to get off the shaft, I doused the shaft with PBlaster to free it up, and it finally rocked off. To get my harness free, I used a set of long handled cutters. My standard cutters were useless here, if I hadnt just scored the long handled cutters, I would have resorted to a long kitchen knife.

The XJ pictured hasn't done any real off roading from what I can see, that and the first picture of an NSS is actually a different one (I keep a spare rebuilt NSS in the garage).

The NSS is usually difficult to get off by design actually. If you look at the spot the big nut is attached to you'll see it is split, as you tighten it down it clamps as well. I couldn't think of a very nice way to say that so I just said "PULL HARDER!" ;)

Bookmarked! Mine is on the blink (right now just affects my reverse lights) and I've been meaning to clean it out for a while.

Bookmarked! Mine is on the blink (right now just affects my reverse lights) and I've been meaning to clean it out for a while.

Haha, Same here thanks for the link sequoia!

I am gonna pull my NSS of at halftime. Wish me luck. One thing I am not sure on though, How do I adjust it if need be?

I am gonna pull my NSS of at halftime. Wish me luck. One thing I am not sure on though, How do I adjust it if need be?

Oh and the plug is completely different for 97+ models and it takes longer than 20 mins when the screws won't come out of the NSS. Grrrrr! Putting wd40 or PB on the shaft helps to get it off . I managed to get the zipties off easily now I'm off to put it back on! Woohoo! :D

Done and Done! Went back on fairly easily with just a bit of coaxing and didn't have to adjust it at all. I HAVE REVERSE LIGHTS AGAIN! YAY! :D

Back