• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

too hot 44

spinnerdog

NAXJA Forum User
So I Swaped a jeep 44 under my xj, added a detroit locker to it with 4:10 gear. New set of superior axles, bearings seals and even a cover that added another 1/2 quart of fluid to the axel. but the problem is that the carrier gets smokin hot after a good drive on the freeway. so hot you can't keep your hand on the pumpkin. What gives. Changed fluid now twice rechecked pinion load, all bearings but still smokin hot. Pinion angel is not too steep have a sye added to transfercase ,no bad angles Have a 5 speed and 32" tires thought I did the calcs right, but now i don't know.

The new setup has to go thru a couple of heat cycles. Why did you change the gear lube after only 60 miles? Make a couple of short trips, then use a laser thermometer on the cover to see if the temps are dropping.

OK so only 60 miles on it did you ask them about it. It is there work after all.

how much fluid are you putting in? after the new fluid and driving it did you let it cool off and recheck the fluid. Do not forget that the fluid goes down the axle tubes to the bearings there as well. At first the pumpkin will show full but after it goes into the tubes it will be well not full.. just a thought.

Do not forget there is a breaking period and procedure for gears just like most other metal to metal items to get them to mesh right.

id pull the rear cover and check the color or the ring gear teeth. if theyre starting to "blue" then youve got issues for sure. none of the axles ive had set up, or my friends have ever gotten so hot during break in you couldn't touch the rear diff and hold your hand on it

Part of the break in cycle is not to drive it too long. If the center chunk is too hot you're gone too far. Do a 3-4 light city drives for 20 minutes or so. Then on couple 30 minute drives on the highway. Stop every 10 minutes or so to check how hot it is.

Part of the break in cycle is not to drive it too long. If the center chunk is too hot you're gone too far. Do a 3-4 light city drives for 20 minutes or so. Then on couple 30 minute drives on the highway. Stop every 10 minutes or so to check how hot it is.

gaius is right

did noone tell you about proper gear break-in procedure?? ur not supposed to go over 55 for 500 miles, and change the fluid at 250. and if you do need to go faster than that, you definatly should not do it sustained longer than 20-30 min tops. the gears have to develope a wear pattern on each other, and polish each other off.

Well I have stayed with those rules no long distance no long periods of high speed started with little trips to the liquor store. I changed the fluid when I first was under the jeep after a 20min drive around town. I grabed the pumpkin to pull myself over and got a hot suprise. Thats when I first drained it to se what the heck was going on. Took it back to the shop, They said that the pinion bearing was bad and replaced it. They redid the setup and now it is still running hot.

Of course it is, the gears arent broken in yet. Drive it nice in short trips for a couple of weeks, and after you have 500 to 800 miles on it, put in new fluid, go for a few hard drives, and then report back.

What you're talking about is semi normal.

Sure doesnt sound good,take extra caution at this point and be ready to look for a better shop!

It will get hot during break in. How hot depends on alot of things. What ratio? What size tires? If you have 3:55's and 35" tires it's no wonder it's getting hot but if you have 4:56's and 33's then it sounds like it's getting too hot. Like Cal said do the proper break in and see how it's doing then.

My 4.56's got pretty hot when I did mine and I only have 32's. It should get fairly hot the for the first few cycles, but after that it should cool down. I would just keep it under close surveillance and if anything is out of the ordinary take it back to the shop that put them in.

I broke mine in on two trails in Moab, then 440 mile home on the interstate. They got warm enough that you wouldn't want to leave your hand on the pumpkin, but that pretty much went away in 500 miles.

Back