• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np242 to np231 help

rweaver138

NAXJA Forum User
ok so try to follow me on this one. I took the 242 OUT of my 99, and replaced it with a 231 from a 2001 that had a SYE and all that good stuff. The vacuum switches on the top of the t-case are different plugs, so the 231 out of the '01 wont plug into the stock wiring for the 242. I snipped the wires off the 01 and theres three wires going into a connector, then two coming out, then they proceed to the plug. the 99 I have has no connector, just three wires coming down into the plug. So should i snip the factory wires for the 242 in my 99 then connect the three wires above the connector from the 01? Has anyone done this or ran into this issue before? and last but not least, can you understand what i'm saying haha! thanks, guys.

You should have just swapped plugs, if I am not mistaken.

well thats what i thought too, i switched plugs but the 242 plug is much longer than the 231 so it doesnt thread in all the way.

If I remember correctly, the plugs didn't match up on my 231 swap either, so I didn't hook anything up. I just hooked up the speedo gear cable. The only thing that I've noticed is that the dummy 4x4 light in the dash doesn't light up to tell me when I'm in 4-wheel drive.

I never understood the need for the light when I can see the lever at all times. I don't know if that plug serves any other purpose. If it does, I haven't noticed any.

I never understood the need for the light when I can see the lever at all times. I don't know if that plug serves any other purpose. If it does, I haven't noticed any.
It doesn't, at least as far as I can tell. My manual for 96 shows a black/yellow wire that goes from the switch on the TC (other side of switch grounded) straight to a bulb in the instrument cluster. Nothing else connects to it.

You just need the proper pigtail to plug in between the body and t-case. I swapped a in 242 from 231 and I just had to get the pigtail from the dealer.

The body side connector above the T-case has the same connector. The connector on the case side is what's different. Get the proper harness and it's plug and play. Only cost me like $7 for the damn thing.

It only serves the indicator lights on the dash. 242 has 1 extra wire due to FT option.

Back