• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Wheel Swap- '96 to '97+

heyhar

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 Country, and the stock leather wrapped wheel has seen better days. The yard is loaded with '97+ XJs, and '96-'98 ZJs, with the ZJs having the same upper column and clamshell as the '95 and '96 XJ. I think the '95+6 XJ airbags are different, but I'm not so much worried about that. I'm interested in the cruise being on the wheel, and if it will have the same pin-out at the little clockspring connector. Will the splines in the wheel match the shaft? I'm gonna go back with the puller tomorrow, but I'm looking for some hints if anyone's got any.....Thanks.

Sounds like a good excuse to get started on a 97+ dash, column, console swap! Same thing out here, the yards are just flooded with them right now. Cheap parts in abundance.

The wheel will fit on the splines, Should be fine.

Just did the console this week. Shifter, brake handle, carpet, buckets, rear bench. Sad thing was, the donor was cherry. Within two days, all that's left is the unibody. Rare find with the tan interior. Built a power driver seat also. Worked out well, now it's time for a new wheel.

Back