• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil filter adapter gasket

hightime81

NAXJA Forum User
I've always heard that you have to buy the gasket kit (3 o rings) from the stealership to do this job.

While i was pa-rousing autozone.com i ran into part number 70301 which is for one large oil adapter o ring for $1.99. couldn't find the two smaller orings though and was wondering if anyone here knew if they were standard sized that could be ordered?

Just trying to save a buck and pass it on:)

thx!

I can't answer the question directly, but I can tell you that most people find the same thing I did when changing the adapter o-rings - the large outer ring that seals to the block is wasted, and the other two are in perfectly good condition. I bought the set so I could just do the whole thing but would have been fine without the two inner rings.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-information.asp?number=4720363 $2.99 for the full set, fits 93-98 4.0L (so they claim. My parts catalogs show the same exact part number for 93-01 as well as part of the 92 model year)

The part numbers:
* before 93 (specifically, the date 7/19/1992) my parts catalog is extremely confusing and has differing info for XJ/MJ, you're on your own. Find a parts catalog and look under ENGINE, 6 CYLINDER - ENGINE OILING.
* 94-01 4.0L: 04720363 (full kit of 3 o-rings. Appears to cost approx $3 from most aftermarket/OEM-reseller suppliers.)

Related - anyone know if there were any differences on the engine block concerning the old-style vertical filter mount and the new-style horizontal filter mount? I like the old style one more as it allows more oil to drain out of the filter while I'm changing the oil, so it doesn't make as much of a mess, and I'm wondering if it's a clearance issue with something else in the engine compartment, a change to the block mounting pattern, or something I can simply bolt in.

sorry to bring this back but I have a question. is the stock adapter also held on by the T60? I have a leaking gasket and need to change it out. thanks.

Depends on--wait for it--what year and or engine you are talking about.

My bro's 93 was an easy 14mm hex, whereas the 01 I just sold was a PITA T-60(I was officially defeated and let new owner know). I guess some of them have to have the motor mounts removed and engine raised a bit in order to get them above the frame and at them good(I swear I put at least 200lb-ft on it and it wasn't budging).

The Renix are SAE, but damned if I can remember the size. Might be on 5-90's website.

I built my own tool for doing my 2000. Used an impact T60 bit (one piece) from NAPA and a old box end wrench (15/16" size). I slipped the impact bit into the box end and welded the two together. With the large box wench, it gave me the leverage I needed and the bolt came out easy. No messing with engine mounts, raising anything, etc. In all, took me about 30 minutes to get it off, clean up the housing replace the o-rings and put everything back together, including doing the needed oil change.

Oh, I bought the o-ring kit from the dealer.

My bro's 93 was an easy 14mm hex, whereas the 01 I just sold was a PITA T-60(I was officially defeated and let new owner know). I guess some of them have to have the motor mounts removed and engine raised a bit in order to get them above the frame and at them good(I swear I put at least 200lb-ft on it and it wasn't budging).

So a 14MM should do the trick?? Definitely going to try that tonight when i get home. i have a 14mm hex (wrench) in the 260pc craftsman set i bought with my tax returns!

So a 14MM should do the trick?? Definitely going to try that tonight when i get home. i have a 14mm hex (wrench) in the 260pc craftsman set i bought with my tax returns!

You can buy things with your tax returns?

And all of these years I've been waiting for those stupid checks! :D :D

Oh I made a nice tool out of two wrenches and the big floor jack handle that fit over them and did use pinion-nut torque and it wasn't budging, so in my particular case, the block would have to be raised to get at it better. I'm not suggesting that anyone go that route unless they have to.

FWIW Rock auto sells a kit by Dorman #82560 that has everything you need and more (15 pieces). It goes for $2.68 however when I put one in my cart the price came up $.18 so I bought six of em. They are closing out a lot of stuff for our motors Wix oil filter for $1.61, good price on fuel and air filters too. I stocked up to only pay one shipping.

I found ALL the rubber o-rings at ace true value hardware store. lot cheaper than the stealership. ive been driving my xj for 6 months and no leaks.

Sweet baby Jesus.... I have an awesome 260 pc craftsman 12 pt socket set. And i STILL don't have the correct freaking tool to get this off of my XJ....

So i just ordered a nice 1/2 hex bit set from Amazon for $20 that has a 5/8, 9/16 and 14MM hex bit.

Since the T60 didn't fit, i went with a 5/8. no luck. so at this point i am down to the 14MM and 9/16. After reading the build sheet for my late 93 XJ, i found that it was built in Ohio it looks like for a Canadian fleet.

i swear, it is sweet torture sometimes. this is hopefully the LAST oil leak i will be fixing on my XJ until i decide to tackle the RMS which seems ok right now. thank god the bourbon is easing the oily leakage pain on my drive way right now... i guess i will have to open up an oil filter adapter oring change business since i literally have all the tools used for our HO XJ's...

Last edited:
Back