• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Pipe size and new muffler help

duke183

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and it may be that I am not a good searcher, but I cannot find the exact measurements for the exhaust pipe.

Here is the deal. I am looking to buy a new muffler for the 00' XJ. I am looking at the Thrush Welded series and there are quite a few choices to make here.

First off, what size inlet and outlet tubing do i need on it: 2.25" or 2.5" to mount up to stock tubing? Also do I need center inlet and offset outlet or center all around. I am not in a good position to get under there to see, so please help me out here.

Also, how hard is this to install? I cannot weld it, should I take it somewhere to be welded and if so how much would that cost (I am in MD)?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Chris

2.25''

Center in/ center out would be best (I got center in/offset out and had to due some maneuvering)

Fairly easy to install....but I did it with a welder. It's possible to cut everything off with a cut-off wheel and use exhaust clamps but I would recommend taking it somewhere to get welded up. Shouldn't be more than $100 (they charge $50 here).

Also, great choice on the Thrush welded. I'm running it now and I love it. Not too loud, but noticeable.

Nice thanks for the info, I was actually reading your posts on it. Listened to it online and it sounds great! Cant wait to get it!

I have searched and it may be that I am not a good searcher, but I cannot find the exact measurements for the exhaust pipe.

Here is the deal. I am looking to buy a new muffler for the 00' XJ. I am looking at the Thrush Welded series and there are quite a few choices to make here.

First off, what size inlet and outlet tubing do i need on it: 2.25" or 2.5" to mount up to stock tubing? Also do I need center inlet and offset outlet or center all around. I am not in a good position to get under there to see, so please help me out here.

Also, how hard is this to install? I cannot weld it, should I take it somewhere to be welded and if so how much would that cost (I am in MD)?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Chris

what muffler exactelly is this?...anyone have video of what it sounds like?
thanks
Jack

When I used clamps (with my OEM tailpipe) it worked its way free after a few months because the OEM tubing is way stiffer than aftermarket. I torqued the clamps down as far as I could without breaking the u-bolt (in fact I broke the first one), ended up welding it after that. The catalytic to muffler joint is clamped from the factory though, you should use a clamp on that unless you're doing a full stainless exhaust.

it is a really loud one basically a FM40 knock off for around $40. Also, little to no drone at highway speeds which is better than the FM40. People have great results with them and if you look it up on facebook you will see a good video or two.

I ordered mine today with a center inlet and an offset outlet, best option it seems. Should be in next week, not sure when I will install it though, but can't wait!

This is what I run with a dump just before the rear axle. Sounds nice at most speeds. Mine has a little drone but I think that is because of crappy installation via me.

You should like it if you want a little more growl to your exhaust.

Has anyone ran a 40 series flow master? I wonder what that would sound like...only reason I ask is I have a old one sitting in the garage.

Has anyone ran a 40 series flow master? I wonder what that would sound like...only reason I ask is I have a old one sitting in the garage.

i did for a little while. i got sick and tired of the highway droning and the straight exhaust tone just wasnt the same as a v8.

i did for a little while. i got sick and tired of the highway droning and the straight exhaust tone just wasnt the same as a v8.

Yea that is what I was wanting too, didnt sound like that at all, sounds like a quite, broken Cummins.

Dont expect it to sound like your 67' Chevy...

Factory muffler is center inlet/offset outlet in 2.25". My setup is my sig.

Back