• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Long Arms

tharlanjr

NAXJA Forum User
So now that I have my 5.9 ZJ I am looking at different Long arm setups.

I really like the Claytons kit, but needing to weld everything on is gonna be expensive. But I am not sure if I wanna run 7" of lift. I only want 33's so I won't need to do any trimming if I just run their complete setup.

On my last XJ it had the RE LA setup, but it rode like crap.

This is a DD/desert racer, so street quality and go fast ride quality is a big priority.

Whats your opinion on bolt on/weld on.

Should I just fork over the extra money for a high quality lift like claytons and just weld it all on there?

I also have known people who just do the front LA's then have the rear adj short arms. What do you think about that?

when i get to tackling suspension on my 5.9, I am thinking about doing the IRO 5.5 Critical path LA. i have read hundreds of good reviews of this setup from the ZJ/WJ guys.

Purely due to price. When the time comes, if i can swing the extra grand, i would love to do the full LA setup. but i highly doubt it..

For the record, for a "Jeepspeed" setup, i dont think SAs would be ideal. i think the Full claytons kit would be better..

CLAYTON!

Yea, I like the IRO premium kit, F&R La's.

Its all bolt on, but if I want to weld it I can. SO the installation would be easier, then welding it on would be a lot cheaper since I can complete the lift, do all the prep then just have it welded.

Plus then I could go with 35's....

After going through 2 other jeeps, I am wanting to just spend the extra $ and go full LA's and not have to worry about upgrading later or dealing with any uncomfortability...(if that's even a word, lol)

Yea, I like the IRO premium kit, F&R La's.

Its all bolt on, but if I want to weld it I can. SO the installation would be easier, then welding it on would be a lot cheaper since I can complete the lift, do all the prep then just have it welded.

Plus then I could go with 35's....

After going through 2 other jeeps, I am wanting to just spend the extra $ and go full LA's and not have to worry about upgrading later or dealing with any uncomfortability...(if that's even a word, lol)
I completely understand, you bought one of the most "Plush" jeeps available. it would be nice to retain some of the comfort in the end result!

Yea, I had a 97 5.2 that was killer on the trails, (wish I never sold it) so I can't wait until this is ready.
It had 4.5 lift on 33's 4.10's and a rear aussie, and it went everywhere I wanted to, so with a LA kit It will go everywhere and I will be comfortable the whole time, lol.

I just wanna get it lifted so I won't need to worry about dragging anything...

Thanks for your input!

IRO is def in my head now!

I had the RE long arm lift with Bilstein shocks and everyone commented on how nice it rode on and off road. You probably had a turd for a last xj.

Arms are just that, arms. Go with the RE or the Claytons it doesn't matter, they both put out a quality kit. Your ride quality is going to come from sprigs and shocks. I'm not sure if Deaver builds coils for that, I'm sure they COULD if you asked them. Or just jump right into some coilovers and call it a day.

This is a DD/desert racer, so street quality and go fast ride quality is a big priority.

Build it for one or the other. You get it to ride nice on the street, it will be too soft to race. You get it right for racing, and it will suck on the street.

For the record, for a "Jeepspeed" setup, i dont think SAs would be ideal. i think the Full claytons kit would be better..

Find me a past JS champion who didn't run a SA kit... Top 2 cars last year (and year before) and top 3 cars this year all have SA setups. In fact, I can only recall 1 long-arm vehicle winning a race, and that was the 1706 Wrangler.

Did they have drop brackets? or just short arms? Can't get drop brackets for ZJ's.

WHen I said Desert Racer I should have been more clear, just for fun desert toy. I wanna be able tohit the whoops for a few minutes. I will never actually race it.

Back