• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ 4wd shift indicator lamp HOT?!?

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
The small indicator bulb above (within) the 4wd shift pattern is HOT. With the headlights on, you can't keep your thump on the plastic overlay for more than a few seconds. Surprisingly, the plastic overlay is handling it remarkably well: getting slightly hazy but otherwise flat and smooth.

So of course, I haven't fixed it in months. :dunce:

Before I attack this in the conventional electronics diagnostic fashion (i.e. multimeter and profanity), is this a "Jeep thing" where someone can identify the culprit?

unless it's got a bad connection and is arcing, it's unlikely that it is anything to be worried about... incandescent lamps get hot. Maybe it's not mounted properly and is getting closer to the overlay than it should?

If you're really worried about it, I'd replace it with a small CCFL or LED unit, as both of those are pretty much free of heat generation issues.

I'd replace it with a small CCFL or LED unit, as both of those are pretty much free of heat generation issues.

Do it, you will like it!

Wrong bulb is likely, I think it takes a 658 which is a fairly dim bulb. If you put a 194 in there it will get quite warm! The chain stores around here don't stock the 658's so I just nabbed a couple at the junkyard.

Back