• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keyless entry - 99 XJ

AG74683

NAXJA Forum User
Just got a new XJ over the weekend. 99 with the Classic Trim package..

Im believe this trim package came standard with keyless? Is this true?

Problem is, the P.O. didnt have the keyfob. Do I just buy a generic keyfob and program it to work with my keyless, or do I need to go to the stealership to get this done?

Remove the dome lamp or overhead console and look for the 2"x4" green key-less entry printed circuit board inside.

97-01 key-less entry fobs can only be programmed at the dealership. Used key fobs are found at the junkyard and on eBay.

when you go to get your remotes programed go around back and fined a technician that looks like he hates rules or the dealership and offer him $20 to do it. My local stealership wanted 50 or 60 to do it and in talking to the technician he only sees $10.

Call your local dealership, they charge 50+ to program one but my local dealership told me they'd do it for free (well, included in the cost I guess) if I bought the fob from them.

If you get a used fob, be sure you get the right one. 97-98 XJ fobs are square(ish) while the 99-01 are peanut shaped. Also be sure you have an XJ fob. There are dozens of peanut style Chrysler fobs but only the XJ fob will work. Buy from a reputable source.

Back