• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Only Blow Out of Defrost Vents

johnferg69

NAXJA Forum User
So I hop in my XJ the other day and find that I only have defrost! A/C, vent and heat will only blow out the defrost vents.
Any Ideas?

I'll bet you've got a vacuum leak. If you lose vacuum, the blend door falls to defrost by default.

vent selection is controlled by vacuum and defrost is default when nothing else works. So... it's a vacuum leak, if you're lucky it'll be in the engine bay on the accessory line (still have your reservoir?), but on my beater it was at the back of the HVAC controls.

When I replaced the bumpers, the front bumper dropped and the "Egg" was attached. The vacuum line that attached to the "Egg" came loose from somewhere under the hood. Could that be the problem?? I thought it was just for an optional outside temp gauge.
I still have the "Egg" if its needed. If it is, where did the other end of the vacuum line attach at? Or will the bolt and clamp work?

When I replaced the bumpers, the front bumper dropped and the "Egg" was attached. The vacuum line that attached to the "Egg" came loose from somewhere under the hood. Could that be the problem?? I thought it was just for an optional outside temp gauge.
I still have the "Egg" if its needed. If it is, where did the other end of the vacuum line attach at? Or will the bolt and clamp work?
I just had the same problem..There are 2 vacume lines coming out of the passenger side fire wall on mine one is white one is black..The black one on mine hooks into a "T" connector just outside the firewall..Your problem is likely at the"T"Mine was clogged with dirt ..Blew it out with an air hose and all is well now..

At minimum you need to cap off the vacuum line. Better fix would be to reinstall the egg on the accessory harness somewhere, since it normalizes vacuum pressure a bit. Without the egg you might have problems with HVAC going to defrost on acceleration when manifold vacuum drops.

All above info is correct - if you have cruise control, the line probably pulled off the T junction right at the cruise control solenoid (it's right next to the fuse/relay center.) If not, that's it's next stop so if you broke the line when the bumper came off, the break will likely be between the T at the cruise control solenoid and the bumper vacuum reservoir.

Thank ya'll! I'll check it out this weekend. No cruise control so only one thing it could be.
Luckily its been pretty cool here for several days so its not been an issue.
Near record lows in Texas in October!!!:party:
Thank you "Global Warming"!!!! LOL

Back