• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny shut off....? :o

allybeehee

NAXJA Forum User
ok. so. ive been having some problems with the transmission. its a 99 XJ. 4.0. Aw4. . . the check engine light is on. i hooked up a scan tool, and i got a code that said transmission range sensor..now, i have a transmission malfunction code... when im driving up hills, on bumpy roads, or speeding up, the whole heep kicks, like the tranny is shutting off. the engine light goes out, the speed goes down, and then it all comes back on and speeds up again. im beginning to think that shes possessed. but im not sure. im almost convinced its neutral safety but who knows with these days. help mee.

Sounds to me like your torque converter is kicking in and out... Follow that line of thinking and see where it leads...

Unplug the TCU or pull the fuse, drive it shifting manually, if it shifts Ok then your problem is electrical.

Also, check the TPS.

Back