• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 27 spline powertrax lock-right

Peregrine

NAXJA Forum User
I need some help. I picked up a 27-spline 8.25 Lock-right for my rig. The unit is new, but probably 10 years old. Box has been opened. I need to ensure that I have all the parts needed for install. The reason I worry is that every picture I see on the internet shows a couple more parts than I have...although, I know that every application is a bit different.

Would you please chime in if you have recently installed one in an 8.25 or remember very vividly...or better yet, you still have one in the box! (unlikely, I know).

Mine does not have a pinion shaft included and does not have (2) smaller washers (that I see in pictures). I understand that I will be reusing my thrust washers...this is not what I am referring to though.

I have (2) spacers, (2) drivers, (2) "side gears" (4) small sheer pins (4) small springs and (4) large springs.

I don't want this thing failing or exploding on me. Thanks for any information!

I would call lockright and ask them or have them send you a parts list. I put one in mine a couple years ago. Mine had all those parts plus a spacer to put in the middle of the locker during install to check spacing and to keep the locker from locking during install

Unfortunately, Richmond Gear (Powertrax) is impossible to get ahold of by phone or email and I hear they are of no help anyways. I will keep trying though. I don't think mine needs the spacer "block" to check distance between the drivers...I think that is for the no-slip only right? I could be wrong though.

I need some help. I picked up a 27-spline 8.25 Lock-right for my rig. The unit is new, but probably 10 years old. Box has been opened. I need to ensure that I have all the parts needed for install. The reason I worry is that every picture I see on the internet shows a couple more parts than I have...although, I know that every application is a bit different.

Would you please chime in if you have recently installed one in an 8.25 or remember very vividly...or better yet, you still have one in the box! (unlikely, I know).

Mine does not have a pinion shaft included and does not have (2) smaller washers (that I see in pictures). I understand that I will be reusing my thrust washers...this is not what I am referring to though.

I have (2) spacers, (2) drivers, (2) "side gears" (4) small sheer pins (4) small springs and (4) large springs.

You have all the parts. I did mine a few months ago. Very easyy to do.

I just did mine just this past weekend and it pulled it out today. It SUCKED!!! Lock Right IS impossible to get a hold of via email, phone, carrier pigeon, smoke signals etc. I'm so disappointed with their customer service and their product. To answer your question, Yes. You have all the parts(if they gave you the right ones) and it is very easy to install other then the wrestling match with the spacers and the c clip. Do yourself a favor, when you pull the old spider gears out, put the Powertrax side gears into place with the thrust washers. Make sure they fit snuggley into the carrier. No up and down/side to side movement. My carrier and gears are new. I had a ton of slop that was said "to be normal". I finally got through via phone after 35 minutes of waiting on hold for Lock Right and the tech was rude and very uncaring. He didn't care one way or the other whether I got this installed and working properly. After installing it, my locker would not engage. I took my cover off and checked every part. All was good and still it would not engage. I then put the Jeep on jack stands and put the jeep in gear. One side of the locker would engage while the other would not. I then disassembled everything, cleaned, re-checked all parts and installed it perfectly again. Still the same results. I finally took it to my local 4x4 shop where they confirmed my suspicion in the first place. The side gears where the culprit. They are either the wrong parts or just fit very poorly. Either way Lock Right has yet to get back to me on this issue. CHECK for fitment before you go through the hassle of install. I may be able to answer any install questions that you have at this point because I did it three times this week!! Oh well, Lesson learned. You get what you pay for. I'm glad not everyone's experience wasn't bad like mine but, really, one problem is one too many. Good luck!

Last edited:
well...the model is #1230 so it should be ok...but, I guess I won't know until I install ehh?! I wasn't sold on the lock-right, but for the price I paid...there is no way I could've past it up. I hope this works! Thanks for all the replies!

Here is the application link on their website...http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/jeep1lr.pdf
Model 1230 it is. I finally got a hold of RichmondGear direct and he gave me a rundown on the parts that should be included...all the parts are there. I am a little concerned that I won't like the noise and the handling of the unit...but I am sure I will get used to it. My rig is only driven a couple times a week and I have a Rockcrusher diff cover on the way to hopefully quiet it down a little. Installation looks like cake walk...just hope it all fits together like it is supposed to. Now to find the time to install it! Thanks for all the replies!

That's all I got in mine. I don't like my lockrite though. It's noisy and pops frequently on the street. If I had it to do over I would do a detroit or an Aussie.

Back