• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what do i need for a 4.5 lift

first, i'm gonna say search, but really just look at the front page...
yeah you'll need a trac-bar, but most likely not a drop pitman arm, and bastard pack is just fine... short arms are ok too

You my not NEED sye or extended brakelines but you may have to address these two areas eventually. I have a dreaded '01 and have not done a sye. I have 4.5" of lift and currently experience no vibes. Every application is different. Get an adjustable trac bar, move your front brake line bracket down and then take the other problems as they come.

and at that height you will need a sye and some brake lines

sye can get expensive... correct me if im wrong...

just do some axle shims in the rear and do a 1-1/2" to 2" T-case drop bracket.

and definitely get some adj. lower control arms.

pain to get off if it has lotsa miles... but will help in putting everything back on.

and do a 1-1/2" to 2" T-case drop bracket.
Youll spend alot more money fixing all the issues with this idea than a good SYE kit! Lets see:broken motor mounts,new radiator(after the fan goes thru it),fan hitting the shroud,exhaust system cracks,trans/t-case linkage binding,screws up the front driveshaft angles,etc!Does this still sound good?

IRONROCKOFFROAD.COM has a great SYE kit. Comes with a new or refurbished front drive shaft and all the hardware for $200. Its well thought out and easy to install. Check it out! I just got one. Took mee about 1.5 hours to install it.:eyes:

There should be a thread on here titled 'Bastard Pack' I believe, just do a quick search for (bastard pack*) and it should come up.

If you're going to stick with your short arms for the lower control arms, i'd either go adjustable or get some LCA drop brackets like the one Rough Country sells for pretty cheap. You don't want those things at a poor angle. It kills the ride. I had an 87' with a 4.5 RC lift, and the control arms were at a very poor angle, it rode like a brick, no give at all.

People say to get an SYE typically if you lift more than like 2.5-3". Even then you may not feel vibes or ever have issues, but it's one of those preventative things. Do it now, and you could save yourself a headache down the road, and if someone sells a kit for $200, that's pretty dang good.

Bastard packs have a few varieties, depending on what front springs you run. A common one is from a Ford F150, which typically gives you a bit stiffer ride as the springs are meant for a beefer vehicle used for hauling. If you search for bastard pack, you should come up with a number of articles.

Going the cheap route, i'd definately get some decent shocks so the ride isn't murder and get your LCAs at a better angle post lift.

When i was looking into lifting my jeep i was a bit confused about making my own bastard pack. It was actually pretty easy. What i did was used the XJ main and the 2nd leaf. I then added 4 more leafs from a donor pack, put them together and and voila! .It flexes pretty good and rides awesome. So basically you're gonna take 2 leaf packs and make one out of the 2.

Good luck!

here is the BAstard pack link.

http://webpages.charter.net/laurajeff44/Liftwriteup/s10_pack_PDF.pdf

Julio

I bought the clayton long arm upgrade. So i have the long arms and the front coils for a 4.5 inch lift.

Im trying to figure out the rear now. I need the 4.5 inches for it to run even.

So for 4.5
I need to know what vehicle to get the donors from and then the order to put them together

Ok so you want to go expensive in the front and cheap in the back. Nothing against bastard packs. Just why spend so much in the front and not just buy a set of lift springs in the rear. Also have you looked into extended sway bar links.

I bought the clayton long arm upgrade. So i have the long arms and the front coils for a 4.5 inch lift.

Im trying to figure out the rear now. I need the 4.5 inches for it to run even.

So for 4.5
I need to know what vehicle to get the donors from and then the order to put them together

i would do 3.5" leaves(bastard or new) with a 1" or 1.5" lift shackle. stock shackles are too short to get any flex out an arched spring.

4.5" coils (or 3" coils with Spacer)
4.5" Leaf packs (or 3" packs with shackle)
Lower and Upper control arms for 4-5" lift (or 3" Lca's and Drop brackets)
Shocks for 4.5" lift (or shocks for 3" lift and BPE's)
Brake lines (or relocated fronts but you still need a new rear)
TC drop (never more then 1") or SYE/driveshaft
a can of PB blast!

Back