• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stop AC from cycling?

rehberg79

NAXJA Forum User
It's gitting cold here in the Mid-West and warm up time is almost here. My question is, is there a way to keep my AC pump from cycling when running the defroster? Can I just unplug it or will I cause harm to it?

Mat

It's gitting cold here in the Mid-West and warm up time is almost here. My question is, is there a way to keep my AC pump from cycling when running the defroster? Can I just unplug it or will I cause harm to it?

Mat
Mat,

You can unplug the compressor electrical connection, but I wouldn't recommend it. The Jeep is set to kick it on with defrost because it actually aids in defrosting and since the air conditioning doesn't get used, it helps service life of the compressor if it gets lubed every so often during the winter by cycling on. I would just leave it plugged in, but if it bothers you, the electrical connection is a one wire plug right off the compressor. Hope this helps.

-Collin

Thanks for the info. If it's better for the pump to cycle then cycle it will do. Thanks again.

Mat

The A/C part of the defrost will/can actually help clear your windshield way before the heater heats up enough to help any. My guess is the A/C air blowing over the windshield is fairly dry and tends to suck up moisture, even mild frost. It doesn't feel the least bit warm to me, but somehow manages to help clear the windshield faster than straight air without the A/C. Turning on the heater too soon, may actually make the windshield worse.
I tend to let the motor run a little while before turning the defrost on, the compressor has a pretty good amount of drag, drag on cold belts can cause noise or even slippage.

i know on some gm cars the a/c compressor wil not kick on under 32 degrees to prevent the evaporater from freezing up? this happen on jeeps? anyone get out of there car when its below freezing and see if the compressor is running?

i know on some gm cars the a/c compressor wil not kick on under 32 degrees to prevent the evaporater from freezing up? this happen on jeeps? anyone get out of there car when its below freezing and see if the compressor is running?

It happens like that on all cars, to my knowledge. I believe it has to do with pressures changing as the outside temperature changes. There are sensors that keep the compressor from coming on at these certain pressures to prevent damage to the compressor also.

I always kill the AC in winter because here in the northeast, cool damp weather, even when warm enough to allow the compressor to come on, makes the defroster chill the windshield so much you need the wipers, and it means you have to run the AC 100 percent of the time to keep the inside free of fog even when all you really needed was a little whiff of lukewarm air to clear it. Besides, it's handy to have all the multiple-outlet settings available for heat. I just unplug the connector at the receiver dryer up near the firewall, because it's easy to reach, and easy to reconnect every once in a blue moon to keep the compressor happy.

I have considered putting in a switch, but have been too lazy to bother.

It happens like that on all cars, to my knowledge. I believe it has to do with pressures changing as the outside temperature changes. There are sensors that keep the compressor from coming on at these certain pressures to prevent damage to the compressor also.

This is why the compressor constantly cycles, to prevent from freezing up, even in the middle of summer.

I have a 98 and even when new, the compressor would cycle (as it was designed to do). When it did, the headlights would blink dim and I could feel just the slightest engine skip.

I did install a switch as referenced above to help improve gas mileage and remove the annoyance. I turn the switch on for a few miles every month or so. No problems @ 120k miles.
Bruce

Back