• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lil Timmy's new addition...

Team Willys

www.rocksolidfab.com
So, Jarrad was getting tire of his fenders having holes, so we came up with a plan to make the holes go away (or to distract the viewer from noticing them). His stock sheet metal rockers were trashed. JCR's are really nice, but they can only do so much, and his were welded on, not bolted... they still gave enough to crush the factory skin on some of the hard hits. So we needed to fix that as well. So, here is what we came up with. I spent the entire weekend (since about noon on Friday) working on this and playing with my new toys. Let me know what you think.

Jarrad's Jeep when I got it on Friday morning:
115_1277.jpg

115_1276.jpg

115_1275.jpg

115_1274.jpg

And here it is today when he left for work...

2x8x3/16" Rocker replacement:
115_1336.jpg

115_1335.jpg

And the exo cage for the front:
115_1329.jpg

115_1334.jpg

115_1331.jpg

115_1330.jpg

115_1333.jpg

And a small little signature touch:
115_1332.jpg

Here in the next couple of weeks (hopefully) we will be tubing out the back and adding the cage to it. I've got it all planned out, and well, lets just say its gonna be SICK! It'll be pretty buggyish looking, and still be a daily driven XJ with a full interior, heat and A/C, but be wild enough to tackle whatever Jarrad can throw at it. Definitely going to be awesome!

Tyler, PM me the cost for doing the rocker replacement.

I must say the 2x8 looks good and it's a good point for tying in the cage. Are the rockers tied to the frame rail any way?

Yeah, all the tubing is 1.5" .125 wall hrew. Good thing too, that was a tight fit in some spots. But its awesome how tight we got it. Most of the gaps are about 3/8".

Here is a pic of the underside before seam sealer or undercoat:
115_1303.jpg

And one inside the front fender well at the A piller:
115_1302.jpg

I must say the 2x8 looks good and it's a good point for tying in the cage. Are the rockers tied to the frame rail any way?

Not at the moment. We thought about it, but it ties to every structural point on the edge of the body, all the pillers and the floor itself, as well as the rear spring hanger. Since the front A piller is tied to all of the inner ender structure, it will have to bend the hole jeep to move that tube. Its good... lol.

The reason we decided against extra braces (other than it was good enough as is) was that no matter how we did them, they could possibly create a place for him to get hung up on.

Ahhhh. I see. Man that looks awsome Tyler!!!

finished product looks hawt, too bad i couldnt stay to see it....i had a crappy day at work today anyway i shouldve stayed for the finish ;)

.... i think its also important to mention that we shortened the nates 4x4 bumber by over an inch and a half, it now tucks nicely up against the body the way a good winch bumper should

Last edited:
I would do the braces to the frame and then sheet over them.

Nice work on the exo, a lot of creative bends.

Well, it really isn't needed... You are spreading the load out over a 5.5 foot long area... and the weight of an XJ isn't going to bend that 2x8. No way. If he didn't have the TNT long arm kit with the skids, we wouldve boat sided it to the bottom of the frame rail, but there are bolts through there that won't be accessible, and cutting a hole in the sheet to get to the bolts would require an oval shaped hole roughly 9" long (because of such a shallow angle) and that would defeat the purpose of it in the first place. We though about these things, but decided that the weight gained compared to the benefits and functionality wasn't worth it.

If it ever tries to flex on him, we will add braces then, but honestly, i don't see it ever being a problem, even if Tim were to get behind the wheel.

We wrote all the calculations down for the tube bending on there... it was convenient lol. The writing on the driver's side windshield is from Dan writing stupid crap on it backwards (so the driver can read it). If Jarrad wrecks from lack of visibility it isn't my fault! J-k. You can still see just fine.

Back