• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 blend door access?

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know where to safely cut to access and repair the blend door on a 97+? I know that the "heater treater" kits come with a template, but I don't think the door is broke, just stuck and I don't want to pay $120 for a template.

Even a view of a heater box out of the vehicle would help. I need to see where the door is in reference to other stuff that might be up in there so that I can safely cut with a dremel. Once I get at the pivot points I plan on lubing them. The issue is definitely the blend door, as I can't turn it by hand and it doesn't seem to open or close the whole way when actuated by the motor. Any help at all would be appreciated since winter temps have basically arrived in PA! :)

You are probably on the right track with this, except that lubing probably won't help the loose plastic shaft to bearing pocket. On most HVACs, the bearing surface is through the wall of the housing. One side is just under the actuator motor, the other should be on the opposite side of the housing. For plastic bearings like this, if we thought grease would help, we used a white grease like Lubriplate. You may be able to get to the bearing on the opposite side of the housing and push in white grease, and you can definitely push some in the bearing where the actuator sits. Still, I would be surprised if this helps.

You are probably on the right track with this, except that lubing probably won't help the loose plastic shaft to bearing pocket. On most HVACs, the bearing surface is through the wall of the housing. One side is just under the actuator motor, the other should be on the opposite side of the housing. For plastic bearings like this, if we thought grease would help, we used a white grease like Lubriplate. You may be able to get to the bearing on the opposite side of the housing and push in white grease, and you can definitely push some in the bearing where the actuator sits. Still, I would be surprised if this helps.

Well I'm assuming the other end is above it since it's in there vertically. I know that for some reason it's incredibly tight (seized/damaged bushings/bearings?)...the motor still turns it, but it doesn't have enough travel, it's like the door is binding. I sprayed lube into the end that is accessible (the bottom where the motor connects). It doesn't open enough to allow the hottest air through though. There's no way I'm taking the entire dash apart, so I'm ok with cutting into it from underneath. I just have NO idea where to cut!! Some guy has a "flickr" site where he does a step by step on his grand...I only wish I could find something like that for the regular cherokee.

Sorry, but I'm not sure if that has been posted before. About two weeks ago, someone else was asking for this information. Some people must have it from the guys who sells that kit on ebay. I never saw any informative responses. If you can't turn it with pliers, lube probably won't get the job done. Still, if you could cut the housing and get the door out, you could clean out debris, etc.

Sorry, but I'm not sure if that has been posted before. About two weeks ago, someone else was asking for this information. Some people must have it from the guys who sells that kit on ebay. I never saw any informative responses. If you can't turn it with pliers, lube probably won't get the job done. Still, if you could cut the housing and get the door out, you could clean out debris, etc.

Yeah I had a thread a few months ago(or was replying to one -can't remember, old age!)....but anyway, yeah another member and I were pming about checking one out at the junkyard. Problem is, my only 2 local yards don't have any of the 97+ models! My idea was to bring my cordless dremel to the yard and experiment.

If anyone out there *does* have the info, they're surely not sharing it. Hell, I'd even pay $10 or so for the template, I just can't see spending the $120 if I can somehow salvage the door that I already have.

It does move, it's just not going full left or right....so you get kind of luke warm or luke cold air if that makes any sense. :D

Back