• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

manual switch for backup lights

hightime81

NAXJA Forum User
93 4.0 HO. AW4, 114K on the clock, stock.

i broke the crap out of my NSS when i pulled it to clean it, bypassed it since i don't have the cash to buy a new or used one (wife will kill me if i spend any money on my jeep right now:(). It isn't req'd by NC law to have backup lights, but they are helpful.

So, i want to put a manual switch in to turn on my backups when needed. couple questions on ways to do this:

1. can i just bridge A and E on the NSS harness ( like i bridged C and B so that i can start it...), throw a switch on that bridge and BAM?

2. other than at the lights themselves, is there a spot in the engine bay that i can tap into to make the splice?

3. forget about the OEM backups and add some cheapo HF lights and run them separately to save the hassle?

cheers!

1 and 3 seem the best options.

Or 4 snag one from a J/Y and rebuild it to install.

Last edited:
any idea on how much they cost at a J/Y? last time i tried to haggle one off of someone they still wanted $50 for it and i would have to clean it up still (not that it is a big deal to do that!).

any idea if it would cause issues for me to have the park/neutral bridged at the same time as the reverse (obviously for short times only while i back up)?

bits are salvageable (if i can find it still!) but the plastic case was broken into numerous pieces and the metal arm thing was trashed as well:(.

im pretty sure i threw it all away b/c it was in such bad shape, but i had been hoping to JB weld it all together again, but never got around to it. i am sure someone with a more creative mind and skills would have been able to fix it. (me even. i have improved leaps and bounds compared to my first mechanic attempts 5 years ago).

bits are salvageable (if i can find it still!) but the plastic case was broken into numerous pieces and the metal arm thing was trashed as well:(.

im pretty sure i threw it all away b/c it was in such bad shape, but i had been hoping to JB weld it all together again, but never got around to it. i am sure someone with a more creative mind and skills would have been able to fix it. (me even. i have improved leaps and bounds compared to my first mechanic attempts 5 years ago).

Bugger. It's another "pet project" - when these things get busted, I'd like to round up the loose bits and see if I can't build a working unit out of them. Then, run another "exchange service" - even though you can find them ~$150 on fleaBay (which has $300-odd beat all hollow!) we can still do better than that.

And I've been playing mechanic for considerably longer than five years - what you may not have learned to do yet, I've probably been doing for a good long time...:wave1: Not tryin' to cut you down - just sayin'. Hell, if you can make it out here, I'm willing to teach!

No worries and no offense taken. thats why i come here for:) plenty of jeep wise and world wise folks to help me out.

i broke the NSS probably a year and change ago, but bypassed it and rigged it, so it was not a prob then. now i have a child and someday want to give him this exact same Cherokee if at all possible. so i am trying to make it last for the long haul.

Cheers and if i run into bits and pieces again, i will post up.

A lot of jeepers here have benefited from your experience and knowledge. i am just one more, so thanks!

Don't know if they're compatible, but I have an '88 Cherokee that I'm about ready to junk...still has the NSS. Could pull and sell/send if you're interested.

Back